KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or are these motors clunky sounding? Bike has 4300 miles on it, seems to run great with the LeoVince Evo exhaust, Rapid Bike Evo tuner, and DNA race filter, but man the thing sounds clunky at idle and low revs. Not cam chain noise (I know what that sounds like from my old R6), but just clunky sounding (hard to find another adjective to describe it). Possibly coming from the crank or big end rod bearing? I really don't know w/o taking the motor apart.

I'll be changing the oil this weekend or early next week, so I will be able to see any metal if present. Hoping to not find anything but dirty oil. Just wondering if I am alone or if others have the same sound.

TIA for your replies,
S

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
Is there on other near by to compare the sounds?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, compared to most modern motorcycles the duke is clunky at low rpm. Wind it up...keep the revs up, it is a single and works best spinning high rpm. Sounds awesome at full throttle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine makes horrible noises until you pull the clutch in. I’ve seen other posts about the same thing. Seems it’s nothing to worry and dealer said ‘they’re just like that’.
It does sound rough though :(

·
Registered
612 Posts
The 390 is a thumper. They are called that for a reason. Thumpers don't sound smooth, it's the nature of the beast.

Reactions: KTMasean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine makes horrible noises until you pull the clutch in. I’ve seen other posts about the same thing. Seems it’s nothing to worry and dealer said ‘they’re just like that’.
It does sound rough though :(
Listen to a dry clutch (older Ducati, or some of the older BMW K bikes) and you'll find the Duke is not at all that bad at idle with clutch out in neutral.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, another 1k miles and the sound seems to be getting louder, even after the oil change and there were no signs of wear or debris in the oil. I suspect big end bearings more and more now. Going to have to pull the motor and investigate I guess. Cold weather so not much riding going on these days, + I have 4 other bikes to play with in the meantime so i can still ride. But this is my favorite.... :cry::cry::cry: If the motor is on it's last legs, I may snatch up a Honda CR250 from a buddy of mine and stuff the motor in the Duke frame, 2T Duke 250 FTW!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
If bearings are failing you will be able to find the remains of the tin/lead coating in the oil filter/oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if bearings are failing you should be able to feel extra vibrations to the engine
VS what vibrations? Thing is half a V-twin and shakes like crazy as is, LOL.

If bearings are failing you will be able to find the remains of the tin/lead coating in the oil filter/oil.
Honestly, when I changed the oil I did not look real close because I was disgusted to find that the P.O. may have never changed the oil from new, so there could have been fine particles I may have overlooked...... Either way I is definitely louder than I am comfortable with, so apart it comes.

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
I have not bought many second-hand bikes but did loads of cars and without exception and no matter what the previous owner or the service book says, after closing the deal my very first action after driving home is replacing the oil filter and fill new/fresh oil.
Depending on the age of the car/bike the second is refreshing the brake fluid.
This way I only have myself to blame if anything occurs in these fields.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not bought many second-hand bikes but did loads of cars and without exception and no matter what the previous owner or the service book says, after closing the deal my very first action after driving home is replacing the oil filter and fill new/fresh oil.
Depending on the age of the car/bike the second is refreshing the brake fluid.
This way I only have myself to blame if anything occurs in these fields.
Usually the 1st thing I do also, but I slacked on this one since I was still recovering from a near death accident on my Grom. Bike only had 2600 miles on it at the time and I only bought it to flip it. Then I rode it......... well, it's been a couple years and another few k more miles now, and it is my favorite "Street Bike" in the stable. Is what it is at this point, just need the time to rip her apart. May look into a cam n stiffer valve springs since I am going to tear it apart anyway if the motor is not too bad, otherwise it is going to be a 250cc 2T before it ever hits the road again. I'll know more when I get it apart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts