KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whelp,
I decided to go ahead and create a build post for the old duke. I have a 2016 390 with just about 23,500 miles on it.

I'll try and keep things chronological.

Bike as it sits at the moment.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

MIVV GP Exhaust setup

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

2nd Failed auto tensioner. Pin broke in the same spot as the last time.

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

I have a powder coating setup at home and decided to powder coat my valve cover.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring

Blue Azure Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Brown Wood Rectangle Font Gas

This is the 2nd air box I have purchased that has cracked in the exact same spot.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Finger Engineering

The replacement setup: (Chimera Intake)

Gas Telephone Audio equipment Motor vehicle Gadget

Installed the Gray Area KTM shift shaft support and an Ebay rod to eliminate pretty much all shift slope. The "Short" shifter is amazing.

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Vehicle Hood Bumper

Installed the Yamaha R6 rear shock and put in some slightly heavier front fork oil.

Automotive tire Wheel Coil spring Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Power Commander V and WB2 Autotuner setup

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Suspected coolant leaking past water pump seals.... Changed water pump seals out.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Headlamp Gas Auto part

Hand Sleeve Gesture Finger Thumb

White Light Gear Engineering Auto part

Changed out my ignition setup. I am still looking to see how the ignition system can be improved (Coil on plug or a stronger coil)

Hood Bumper Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Orange Hood

Turns out it wasn't my water pump seal.... 23,300 miles, suspected BHG.

Automotive tire Finger Terrestrial plant Plant Musical instrument

Clean spot on the head

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Light

Corresponding head gasket clean spot

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

An interesting discovery. The old timing chain for whatever reason was eating into everything. I filed it down and cleaned it up.

Automotive tire Tread Grey Rim Liquid

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bicycle part Paint Auto part Rim Crankset

Gesture Finger Thumb Bumper Wood

Another view of the head gasket and the head.

Photograph Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Light

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim

The timing chain was insanely worn out, I made a video on it. You can see here I was starting to drift more and more and was not able to get them to line up. This was creating a condition that made it extremely difficult to start my bike.

Wood Electric blue Close-up Carmine Macro photography

Parts:

Valve Cover Gasket
Valve Cover bolt grommets
Spark plug tube O-rings
"High" compression head gasket, which is just a 2-layer gasket instead of a three.
Titanium retainers.
Gray Area KTM stainless valves
New head bolts
New Circlip for the piston
New timing chain guide
New timing chain
Manual tensioner
New valve stem seals

Font Automotive tire Auto part Motor vehicle Eyewear

Composite material Metal Balance Circle Titanium

Eye Automotive tire Wood Art Audio equipment

Automotive tire Wheel Locking hubs Motor vehicle Rim

Did some minor porting on the exhaust side and new crush seal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Headgear Art Artifact

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used the old 600 grit, glass and dycem trick to flatten the head out. and the block.

White Bicycle part Rim Font Wood

Completed the assembly.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

A few other random photos. I had to Helicoil another cam cradle bolt (That makes 2 of them using a torque wrench.) Also, the top of the piston before cleaning everything up.

White Automotive tire Black Gear Font

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Rim

Pretty clean in there for almost 23,300 miles?

Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine Auto part Art

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good stuff brother! You get time on it with the thin head gasket installed, get it tuned up? Mine is running super strong :cool:

So glad when my head gasket went, it blew out the other way & no coolant went into the rest of the motor. All it did was blow the coolant out the overflow bottle and onto me from the motor's compression. All @ 90+ MPH, LOL.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff brother! You get time on it with the thin head gasket installed, get it tuned up? Mine is running super strong :cool:

So glad when my head gasket went, it blew out the other way & no coolant went into the rest of the motor. All it did was blow the coolant out the overflow bottle and onto me from the motor's compression. All @ 90+ MPH, LOL.

She is running GREAT! there is still a spot in the map that needs some love, but honestly the WB2 is doing a pretty good job getting the map sorted. It has been tricky getting it tuned right with the intake setup and the larger injector. I'm glad I got that WB2 for so cheap. You story sounds horrible lol. I wouldn't want hot ass coolant hitting me or the back tire lol.

·
Registered
407 Posts
She is running GREAT! there is still a spot in the map that needs some love, but honestly the WB2 is doing a pretty good job getting the map sorted. It has been tricky getting it tuned right with the intake setup and the larger injector. I'm glad I got that WB2 for so cheap. You story sounds horrible lol. I wouldn't want hot ass coolant hitting me or the back tire lol.
Track experience kept me upright!! I know what to do when I go off the track well over 100mph, done it several times. Also grew up racing Flat Track, so controlling slides is embedded in my DNA. My leather jacket took most of the hot coolant too, what did get on my pants did not burn me anywhere. Definitely lucky it wasn't worse though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Track experience kept me upright!! I know what to do when I go off the track well over 100mph, done it several times. Also grew up racing Flat Track, so controlling slides is embedded in my DNA. My leather jacket took most of the hot coolant too, what did get on my pants did not burn me anywhere. Definitely lucky it wasn't worse though.
I would say you got lucky, but it sounds like skill was more of a factor that day.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Best post ever! Quick question: any opinions for the head gasket failure? Not properly tightening? Material of gasket? Overheating?

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ι believe I won't have the same problem with the adventure. It has 2 ventilators. I will check the head for tightening torque values though at coming major service (lubricants, filters, spark plugs, valve clearance, break fluids, engine coolant)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ι believe I won't have the same problem with the adventure. It has 2 ventilators. I will check the head for tightening torque values though at coming major service (lubricants, filters, spark plugs, valve clearance, break fluids, engine coolant)

Another member on the group suggested retorquing the head. Might be worth considering

·
Administrator
2,426 Posts
I have not taken off the header pipe on my 390 (yet) but shall report my findings here when I swap to TYGA.
Interesting though my 200 has a flange with 3 bolt holes.

·
Administrator
2,426 Posts
As my 390 is used in Thailand (far better road conditions) I still consider to install the full TYGA under engine exhaust as ground clearance is much less of an issue there (or in Malaysia).
For Laos it's at least 30% off-road so I need all the clearance possible 😄

1 - 20 of 54 Posts