KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
In case anyone is interested in joining a Facebook group we made a while back. A group of us were tired of the other groups that are plagued with SPAM problems. We created this group a while back and pretty much immediately ban people that post spam. It does say US, but that is more of an indication as to the primary language (Which is English). Anyone is welcomed! Just make sure you answer the questions or we won't let you in.

KTM Duke/RC/Adv - US Based | Facebook

·
Administrator
2,431 Posts
That chain eating away on the cylinder head must have produced a bit of a noise???

View attachment 54739

View attachment 54740

Another view of the head gasket and the head.

View attachment 54741

View attachment 54742

The timing chain was insanely worn out, I made a video on it. You can see here I was starting to drift more and more and was not able to get them to line up. This was creating a condition that made it extremely difficult to start my bike.

View attachment 54743

Parts:

Valve Cover Gasket
Valve Cover bolt grommets
Spark plug tube O-rings
"High" compression head gasket, which is just a 2-layer gasket instead of a three.
Titanium retainers.
Gray Area KTM stainless valves
New head bolts
New Circlip for the piston
New timing chain guide
New timing chain
Manual tensioner
New valve stem seals

View attachment 54744

View attachment 54745

View attachment 54746

View attachment 54747

Did some minor porting on the exhaust side and new crush seal

View attachment 54748

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
370 Posts
Wish I could join and learn from your wealth of knowledge, love your YT vids. Unfortunately I don't do social media. Best of luck.

Me too. Agreed !!

I'd LOVE to join-in with some clued-up, educated, like-minded folk.

But because of the mindless drivel i get subjected too on Social media these days :rolleyes:......i cancelled all my accounts earlier this year.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Me too. Agreed !!

I'd LOVE to join-in with some clued-up, educated, like-minded folk.

But because of the mindless drivel i get subjected too on Social media these days :rolleyes:......i cancelled all my accounts earlier this year.
Yeah, I've learned to not really care about what other people post on Social Media lol. It can be a black hole if you aren't careful.

·
Administrator
2,431 Posts
Difficult to grasp not noticing this ha ha.
I have not seen the chain, please share.
The place it was chewing away on must have acted as a boom box.
Have you had this bike from new?
And no shavings in the oil filter???
Wierd stuff 1jzsupra.

Interestingly enough I had no indication. I didn't even see anything when I changed the oil. Did you see how bad the chain was?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Difficult to grasp not noticing this ha ha.
I have not seen the chain, please share.
The place it was chewing away on must have acted as a boom box.
Have you had this bike from new?
And no shavings in the oil filter???
Wierd stuff 1jzsupra.
Yup, didn't notice a thing. Not even in the filter. Have a look at this video I made:

·
Administrator
2,431 Posts
Nice work 1jzsupra,
It indeed is somewhat shocking seeing those timing chain links froozen.
Although you had them (old & new) laying beside each other it was not too clear to see if there was any difference in length.
Could you see any rotation in the old chains link pins?
It does make one wonder what causes the chain to run out so far (in both directions as seems)?
Is/was there any way you were able to check the alignment of the timing sprockets?
Thanks for sharing, good stuff (y)

Yup, didn't notice a thing. Not even in the filter. Have a look at this video I made:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nice work 1jzsupra,
It indeed is somewhat shocking seeing those timing chain links froozen.
Although you had them (old & new) laying beside each other it was not too clear to see if there was any difference in length.
Could you see any rotation in the old chains link pins?
It does make one wonder what causes the chain to run out so far (in both directions as seems)?
Is/was there any way you were able to check the alignment of the timing sprockets?
Thanks for sharing, good stuff (y)
I had the chains next to each other side by side and I was not able to tell a difference in length. I didn't think to look and see if the link pins rotated, I'll see if I still have it. The only thing that I can think of is a material issue with the chains. I changed my oil frequently with 300V so it's not like I was using a bad oil or anything. As you can see by the video the inside of my head looked really good as well. I have completed valve checks on that bike at least 5 times in the past. My observation was that the exhaust cam over time was drifting farther and farther out of alignment. That was when I first started suspecting that there was an issue with the chain. After I changed the chain out the timing markers are dead on.

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
370 Posts
Love it ! This is what I’m into: a little DIY ‘out of the box’ thought / not just shop-bought parts - coupled with an idea of how it works and what you’re aiming to improve. Full Kudos to you Sir.
Irrespective of if it ‘works’ or not. Just good for you for trying / having fun and messing around….

Do be sure to let us know though of course….

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Love it ! This is what I’m into: a little DIY ‘out of the box’ thought / not just shop-bought parts - coupled with an idea of how it works and what you’re aiming to improve. Full Kudos to you Sir.
Irrespective of if it ‘works’ or not. Just good for you for trying / having fun and messing around….

Do be sure to let us know though of course….
Cheers mate. Hopefully, I can gather some data and provide some feedback.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Decided to port out my throttle body a little. I did the filter side more than the engine side as I know the port on the head has a similar profile. I didn't do the greatest job at polishing it out, but to be honest I needed to do it over the course of the weekend so I could ride it again on Monday. Here are the before photos:

Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part

After:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Rim

Wheel Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas

Before:

Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

After:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Vehicle brake

Nickel Gas Auto part Machine Metal

·
Registered
608 Posts
Decided to port out my throttle body a little. I did the filter side more than the engine side as I know the port on the head has a similar profile. I didn't do the greatest job at polishing it out, but to be honest I needed to do it over the course of the weekend so I could ride it again on Monday. Here are the before photos:

View attachment 55114

After:

View attachment 55115

View attachment 55116

Before:

View attachment 55117

After:

View attachment 55118

View attachment 55119

Have you noticed any difference in performance?

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Have you noticed any difference in performance?

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk
Just got it all wrapped up. I started it up and gave it some gas. My observations so far is that the throttle response some better and then according to the real time data it is running leaner. This was kind of the expected result I was looking for as it means more air is leaning it out. Now to get my tune back up to par. More to follow.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Good job. I’ve been wondering why I’ve not seen this more often as this as the airflow from the factory isn’t great especially around the throttle plate and some step at the engine end. I’ve had a spare sitting in my to do pile for a long time now so this reminds me I need to do it!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Good job. I’ve been wondering why I’ve not seen this more often as this as the airflow from the factory isn’t great especially around the throttle plate and some step at the engine end. I’ve had a spare sitting in my to do pile for a long time now so this reminds me I need to do it!
It wasn't too bad. I just ordered a velocity stack that I'm going to try and incorporate into my intake setup as well.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts