KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The one I found loos like I'll be able to slip the filter on over it. I'll get some photos once I get everything together. I have a plan to say the least. It took about 3 days yo find one of the right size that I think will work.

How will you get your K&N filter on?

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
370 Posts
I do not. However, the downfall of this type of intake is that the air can be a bit chaotic coming in. A Velocity stack might help with direct the flow of air and make the flow path smoother.
Nice work on porting the throttle body. Sounds like you've just might have made some difference with it now running slightly leaner..........

In reference to the smoothing out of the intake airflow - i always thought it was 'better' to have some disruptive / swirling flow coming in - as opposed to a completely uniform and smooth flow ??

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Nice work on porting the throttle body. Sounds like you've just might have made some difference with it now running slightly leaner..........

In reference to the smoothing out of the intake airflow - i always thought it was 'better' to have some disruptive / swirling flow coming in - as opposed to a completely uniform and smooth flow ??
I've seen a couple of trains of thought on this. When researching the benefits of velocity stacks there have been many documented dyno runs with various platforms that have shown gains because of it. It seemed that having pod filters can cause turbulence that reduces air flow. Either way, it'll be an interesting test to see if there are any noticeable changes (If any at all).

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
For a minute I thought that was going to devolve into one of those forum arguments as to whether polishing makes it better.
Oh no. There are a lot of thoughts and processes to include whether or not dimpling is better. Either way, I mean I don't really care to debate stuff like that lol. At the end of the day, we could debate all day and unless we did direct comparisons via a dyno it would be hard to say.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just got it all wrapped up. I started it up and gave it some gas. My observations so far is that the throttle response some better and then according to the real time data it is running leaner. This was kind of the expected result I was looking for as it means more air is leaning it out. Now to get my tune back up to par. More to follow.
Higher AFR definitely is proof of better flow. Did you finish the inlet with 80 grit for better mixture or finished as polished as it can be like the exhaust?

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Installed the dynojet Wideband gauge to go qirh my wideband 2 auto tuner. The mount is pretty on point. I used a rubber grommet that came with a velocity stack which turned out to fit perfectly and provide some extra sealing around the gauge face.

Motor vehicle Speedometer Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument

Camera accessory Automotive lighting Camera lens Cameras & optics Reflex camera

41 - 54 of 54 Posts