KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st service done changing rpm setting for shift light, just checking settings others are using..at moment have set it at as per below

RPM 1...8950... Cannot go any higher...why?

RPM 2....10500...

Any advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Read RD's reply here, it will probably have to do with the stock ECU setting. You gain the most accelaration from the 7 to 8500rpm rev window. Anything after that is basically squeezing what remains for that gear, for general running you wont need anything higher than the 9000. For track/race you dont have time to look, just listen.

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...iggyback-ecu-everything-you-need-know-12.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
1st service done changing rpm setting for shift light, just checking settings others are using..at moment have set it at as per below

RPM 1...8950... Cannot go any higher...why?

RPM 2....10500...

Any advice would be appreciated...
Funny you should say that. I did mine just this morning. First set service mileage to next value then set RPM2 to 10000 and then RPM 1 to 9000.

Didn't have any problem doing that.

I can't see a lot of point in RPM 2 because as Dan suggests there isn't really time to detect whether the red light has stopped flashing in your peripheral vision.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Funny you should say that. I did mine just this morning. First set service mileage to next value then set RPM2 to 10000 and then RPM 1 to 9000.

Didn't have any problem doing that.

I can't see a lot of point in RPM 2 because as Dan suggests there isn't really time to detect whether the red light has stopped flashing in your peripheral vision.
So, are there any value to the set points shown in the owner's manual? They show them as 10000 for RPM1 and 11000 for RPM2. Is this perhaps just a carry over from the Duke 200 manual?
Otherwise I haven't seen any mention in the documentation available (including the shop manual somewhere on here) about set points for these. Or any mention of a redline cutoff either. I guess there's the bars on the display that switch from full to hollow at about 9500.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So, are there any value to the set points shown in the owner's manual? They show them as 10000 for RPM1 and 11000 for RPM2. Is this perhaps just a carry over from the Duke 200 manual?
Otherwise I haven't seen any mention in the documentation available (including the shop manual somewhere on here) about set points for these. Or any mention of a redline cutoff either. I guess there's the bars on the display that switch from full to hollow at about 9500.
I haven't seen any recommendations except for running in. I just wanted a flashing light to tell me I was getting close to peak power rpm ( 9500 ). I'm not really concerned about RPM2 because by the time you notice the light has become solid you have had your eyes off the road for too long.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
..First set service mileage to next value...
How do you do that? I see no mention hereof in the OM. Reason I'm asking is I'm taking my bike to a non-KTM dealer for service.

·
Registered
573 Posts
mine is on 11k and 12k ... i need the extra rev to catchup to the next change of gear ... so that it drop at the powerband and saved some millisecond to climb to the next gear change

·
Registered
104 Posts
mine is on 11k and 12k ... i need the extra rev to catchup to the next change of gear ... so that it drop at the powerband and saved some millisecond to climb to the next gear change
Your bike revs that high?

Limiter on mine kicks in around 10500.

I recently dropped the shift light values down a fair bit, I can't remember what they were originally set at but I remember I would hardly see the light (if at all) then I'd hit the limiter. Now I think I have them set around 9,000 and 9,500 or something like that. I've hardly hit the limiter since.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Reactions: philcuore

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I did wonder if it was that.

Wise to raise the rev limit from where the manufacturer sets it?
Tread lightly, some limits set by engineers are due to emissions laws, others are due to manufacturing tolerances. I wouldn't raise the rev limit on an engine that's not been blueprinted, but if you're happy to take that risk who am I to question you?

[EDIT] If I wanted to go faster, I'd up the power with mods like an after-market performance air filter, RD piggyback ECU, Akra exhaust, maybe even a larger throttle body, then drop a tooth or two on the back sprocket. I'm interested in acceleration though, so I'll be going the other way with the sprocket. [/EDIT]

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't intend on upping the rev limits myself, nor replacing the exhaust as I haven't seen any aftermarket ones that (in my opinion) come even close to matching the tidiness of the stock pipe.

More accelaration would be fun though so I may go up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket at some point.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Call me crazy but I hate them shift lights, solution? Maxxed up both of them meself :D but never revved them to the moon, just don't want those bugging lights in my PV. Now I'm done.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
573 Posts
True .. i had the Powertronics for 6months or more now and i'm beginning
to custom my own maps based on which valley to ride on the weekends ...

i'm a rev junkie ... so take it with a pinch of salt ... :D on constant long haul .. my 6th gear is at 9500 rpm for 30mins before the petrol runs dry ...

a picture of the burned rubber doing street racing on a highway at maxed out rpm and speed... (dont try this at home ... this is fatality>:D ...)

Thanks mate, did it this morning.

That's the standard, philcuore probably has a RaceDynamics piggyback ECU, which you can use to set the rev limited to a higher value.
Your bike revs that high?

Limiter on mine kicks in around 10500.

I recently dropped the shift light values down a fair bit, I can't remember what they were originally set at but I remember I would hardly see the light (if at all) then I'd hit the limiter. Now I think I have them set around 9,000 and 9,500 or something like that. I've hardly hit the limiter since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts