KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 KTM 390 Duke, Bazzaz Z-fi fuel controller and Mivv exhaust installed by previous owner. ~12,000 miles. I bought with ~8,000 and most of my riding is city streets.
Yesterday on my ride home from work I noticed some odd behavior as I got close to home. With the clutch pulled in and no throttle, the bike was idling too high and cycling up and down a bit, between 2500-3500 or so. This seemed to only happen while I was moving. When I stopped the idle was normal. I thought maybe it was a sticky throttle cable at the time. Video:

Prior to this I did have two incidents that were very brief that I forgot about until today. Two times in the last couple days I would be riding and the bike would lose power for a fraction of a second before continuing like normal.

This morning I went to start it to go to work and I have more problems. At first it tried to crank two times, but didn't start. I turned of off and back on, and at that point it wouldn't crank. Video:

I tried turning it off and on a few times before looking closer. The computer is giving an error that the engine coolant temperature is too high, with the meter maxed out. The fuel level sensor says the tank is empty, but I know there's gas in it. The fuel pump doesn't prime like it normally does when I turn the bike on. I pulled it back into the garage and disconnected the battery for a couple minutes, but I get the same problem.

I expect you're going to tell me the ECU is the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would suggest you to check your air filter, sometimes clogged air filters leaves the engine gasping for air and those momentary powerdrops might be because of a sudden air vacuum. If thats fine then your fuel pump follower by the fuel injector might be faulty because of which you might also be getting faulty fuel quantity reading. Check your spark plug as well for carbon deposits giving uneven sparks causing the engine to drop power suddenly. Lastly the sensors which are sending reading to the ECU might be faulty. Its highly unlikely the ECU gets busted before the above mentioned things and you should be happy if it’s one of those as its much cheaper than your ECU

1 - 2 of 2 Posts