KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tachometer constantly indicates zero speed. I also get a "battery low" indication. I measured battery voltage and indeed is low, engine strangles to turn on. Can the low battery voltage affects the tachometer indication ? Has anyone faced the same problem? Where is the vehicle speed sensor ?

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. Checked the battery, it's steel good (voltage don't drop under 10V while cranking). Checked voltage with engine on I saw 12.5 to 12.6V max (should see over 13.5 at idle) I also saw the "JG_1.7.3" indication while cranking. Regulator or Magneto? What is your opinion?

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
On my Duke 200, I have similar issues.
Renewed the stator and indeed 1 of the coils was black/burned.
On my bike, though the speedometer goes back to 0 while riding every so often.
REV counter sill works fine though.
I think in most cases the battery needs replacement, my Li-Ion battery has been charged several times with a lead-acid battery charger and now starts giving me the JG_1.7.3 on the display as well.
I will be looking for a new battery next week and see if this solves the issue(s).
Must say though, after renewing the stator the speedometer is cutting off (returning to 0) a lot less?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I contacted with the dealer and described the symptoms, his almost 100% certain its the regulator. He had faced similar cases. Stock regulator costs 100 USD , I found a used one in UK for 30. As for the speed sensor a brand new costs 30USD, not a big deal if the sensor is not the case and it is a wiring problem

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
My next step will be checking the rectifier/regulator with a multi-meter (allowing diode testing).
I will also check the new stator for any issues.
My problem is I live in a country with zero KTM parts supply, the nearest is Thailand but with the postal services not operating at the moment due to border closing I will not be able to order parts and get them here.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly what I an going to do before ordering. There is a nice video also at youtube "how to test a 3 phase regulator", for the diode test. I will update this post for the results

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Replaced the rectifier, nothing done, still "charging" at 12.3 volt with engine turned on. Have to use a charger after every ride. I ordered the stator. It will come to me at a month

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have listened those youtubers who had upload videos with stator replacements

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
R/R was good, took it off to bench test it and put it back.
Been riding over 1,000 km since all good again.
Charging the battery at 7,000 RPM around 14.7V

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally the Chinese stator that costs 40$ came and the bike looks good. Charging power 14V, tachometer ok!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts