KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I have been enjoying my RC390

A month ago I have changed the oil everything went well and I ve been riding the bike almost everyday.

Yesterday I realised there was some oil leak, like a lot, I could see the oil on the ground.

Then I tracked the oil and it was coming from the oil plug, like where you add the oil. I thought its because it wasnt tight enough.

I checked the bike oil level seemed lower, almost not visible, so I added a bit of oil which I had laying around and tried squeezing with a tool. But I squeezed it too much and it snapped.

I am trying to find the best way to fix it. Reverse drilling might cause some damage to the engine, like some parts might fall in, open to any suggestions?

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you have a dremel moto tool you can use a fiber cutoff wheel to cut a slot as deep as you are able to in the top of the broken plug. Then use a flat bladed screwdriver to remove it like a screw

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you have a dremel moto tool you can use a fiber cutoff wheel to cut a slot as deep as you are able to in the top of the broken plug. Then use a flat bladed screwdriver to remove it like a screw
This is 100% what I would do to fix this as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok got you, it makes sense. I should get a new one first and start with dremel.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, even now after its snapping, it's still leaking a tiny bit of oil around the plug, any idea.

·
Registered
789 Posts
There will most likely be a rubber seal around the filler plug, but you will have lost that when the top broke off and oil will be getting past the threaded piece that's still in there.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
There is an o-ring preventing the oil from leaking out, this is also why you do not overtighten the screw plug.
If you have so much pressure built up in the sump that the oil is pushed out, you need to check the sump vent.

BTW, even now after its snapping, it's still leaking a tiny bit of oil around the plug, any idea.

·
Registered
802 Posts
O ring's cheap. Replace the O-ring under the cap. If the O ring is not available, get a silicone sealant, apply an extremely thin layer and tighten it back, will arrest the weep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O ring's cheap. Replace the O-ring under the cap. If the O ring is not available, get a silicone sealant, apply an extremely thin layer and tighten it back, will arrest the weep.
Got a new one and replaced it all O ring and the cap. Sweet as!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts