KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got stuck in traffic and watched my battery go from 12.5 to 9.5 in 10 mins. Followed the stator check process in the service manual and voltage between phases 1 and 3 is 8.6v at 4,000rpm, spec is >50. Bike works fine at highway speeds, just can't ever go slow (no idea how long it's been broken :p )

Service manual says I should take the engine down to replace/fix stator, but from looking at the bolts, it looks like it should be doable on the frame.

Anyone tried?
Also, is the 2017+ stator repairable? new one seems to be 150€

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
No need to take the engine out (use the search top centre of the page, has recently been a topic).

Get the new stator and stator cover gasket.
Lay the bike on its left side.
Remove the stator cover.
Replace the old stator for the new one, Loctite the 3x retaining bolts and set at torque.
Clean the log gasket surfaces on both sides.
Make sure the 2x guide pins are in place.
Put the new gasket on the engine side (without any liquid gasket)
Install the cover and torque to specs.

If you have any worship near that re-winds stators/electric motors you should be able to have it re-wound at a fraction of that price you mentioned. I have this done in Thailand at USD 56 including shipping.

PS I can not believe your manual says 50V when checking the stator at 4.000 RPM

Good luck (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need to take the engine out (use the search top centre of the page, has recently been a topic).

Get the new stator and stator cover gasket.
Lay the bike on its left side.
Remove the stator cover.
Replace the old stator for the new one, Loctite the 3x retaining bolts and set at torque.
Clean the log gasket surfaces on both sides.
Make sure the 2x guide pins are in place.
Put the new gasket on the engine side (without any liquid gasket)
Install the cover and torque to specs.

If you have any worship near that re-winds stators/electric motors you should be able to have it re-wound at a fraction of that price you mentioned. I have this done in Thailand at USD 56 including shipping.

PS I can not believe your manual says 50V when checking the stator at 4.000 RPM

Good luck (y)
Thanks for the tips, will try and do this weekend.

I did see a similar thread, but I thought it was for 2015, so I wanted to double check 2017+.

I was also surprised by the 50V, but so says the manual…

Font Lamp Rectangle Screenshot Multimedia

1 - 3 of 3 Posts