KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

2017 Duke 390 JRI susp. from formula 390?

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Moto_Joe 
#1 ·
Hi guys....long time rider, novice mechanic here...

Has anyone tried the JRI Streetfighter suspension, through formula 390?

http://www.formula390.com/formula390/parts.pl?D=dukeSuspension

I really want to improve the performance of the rear suspension....to take out the harshness on imperfect roads. I weigh 150 lbs not counting gear.

I wouldn't be against the R6 swap, but I don't have the skills to do it on my own. I'm not even sure who I'd have do the JRI suspension swap except for my local KTM dealership.

I live in central Pennsylvania. Thanks for any advice!

moto joe

#2 ·
#3 ·
Oh ok, that's awesome! I've been having trouble finding aftermarket shocks that are listed to fit the 2017+ models!

Thank you for that. I dont need a race shock....just an upgrade from the stock shock. That might be what I'm looking for.

So in what ways does it feel better than the stock shock?

Thank you.

moto joe

#4 ·
Primary difference is in the damping. Spring is linear, not progressive like the stocker that is designed to handle a wider range of rider weights (my understanding).

You can adjust the rebound as you see fit. Preload adjustable as well (like the stocker).

Basically, smoother and better damped is how I would describe it.

#5 ·
Great! And this should fit a 2017, right? I haven't seen what year you have. I didnt think they changed the shock really in 2017, yet other aftermarket shocks I've seen....I think ohlins....only list it up to 2016. I'm thinking they are both 300 mm
Just trying to make sure...thanks!

#6 ·
Yes, they're compatible. No changes to rear end mounting points.

#8 ·
I did the used R6 swap but just so you know, it doesn't fit 2017 models unless you have a cat delete pipe . I didn't know this when I bought a R6 shock off Ebay as it doesn't seem this information is posted anywhere. But then someone sold me a slightly used decat pipe so I was able to make it work. The shock does seem to have much better dampening but man the decat sure is loud lol.

Reactions: varroa
#11 ·
Does anyone have any of these aftermarket shocks on an actual 2017? Like was mentioned about the R6 swap not quite fitting with the stock exhaust....I'm concerned about buying one of these that were confirmed for the first generation, but might not "quite" fit the 2017....I didnt want to modify my exhaust.

Thanks!!!

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.