KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of it? Sells on Ali for around $80usd...

Cheers
David

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugly, but probably worth it if you plan to do any off road riding
I figure it can't be worse than the OEM plastic one... I'm regularly going in the bush with my camper and would love to add some knobbies on the Duke and go explore further than my truck will allow. Nothing crazy or requiring a dirt bike though. The light weight of the Duke was a big plus when I bought it. I still need to figure a way to carry the Duke though, my hitch receiver is almost a meter high so not obvious... But for now I'd rather buy fuel than skid plates ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don’t think the OEM one looks too bad, not much use as actual engine protection though!
l would need to see this one on the bike really, although it’s obviously in a different league quality wise. And it would actually protect the engine from stones etc hitting it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Actually looking at it, it would also stop dirt being thrown on to the underside of the engine.
One road ride in the rain and it took ages to clean my Duke 390 afterwards
I might order one.
Have you got a link to the seller?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get one make sure to let us know how's the fit and quality. Seems pretty good on picture for now!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 390 Duke
6 Posts
Ordered mine September of 2020. It took approximately 2 months to arrive, so not thrilled with the shipping. Even less thrilled when after only 10 rides it cracked near the front. Was out riding and started to hear a high pitched vibration which I eventually located at the skid plate. Never scraped the bottom and no indication that I hit anything. I used rubber grommets inserted into the holes in the plate, so it should have been damped from engine vibrations. Disappointing, but probably to be expected based on the price. I don't have a welder, so I will attempt to fix with alumaloy rod.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dang chinese slag aluminum! Might not offer much more protection than the stock plastic piece for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Nothing to do with Chinese aluminium, anything heavier than the plastic OEM cowl will either break or will break the bracket. I have seen ADV baseplates thorn like this, my Indian GreasHouse bash-plate eats front brackets.
Even the finest aluminium from your war-planes would render the same results.

Dang chinese slag aluminum! Might not offer much more protection than the stock plastic piece for that matter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nothing to do with Chinese aluminium, anything heavier than the plastic OEM cowl will either break or will break the bracket. I have seen ADV baseplates thorn like this, my Indian GreasHouse bash-plate eats front brackets.
Even the finest aluminium from your war-planes would render the same results.
Perfectly fair, unambiguous point. Chinese manufacturing and poor quality control are quite synonymous. Not quite scientific, and not quite anecdotal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well if you blow up that 1st picture, and look at the scrape and the front bolts alignment,
you definitely did hit something.
But, wow, how? as in, how did you hit something that high up?

Considering that is the weak side, where the oil filter housing is located, in the round notch-out...
you would probly do well to run an extra strap-piece at 90 degrees to the crack, then weld up the crack from the back side after you burn the front strap in.

Salvageable. Yes?

·
Registered
2018 390 Duke
6 Posts
Well if you blow up that 1st picture, and look at the scrape and the front bolts alignment,
you definitely did hit something.
But, wow, how? as in, how did you hit something that high up?

Considering that is the weak side, where the oil filter housing is located, in the round notch-out...
you would probly do well to run an extra strap-piece at 90 degrees to the crack, then weld up the crack from the back side after you burn the front strap in.

Salvageable. Yes?
You could, just suggesting, take my word for it when I say that I didn't hit anything. What a concept. Or carry on knowing more about what is or isn't happening based on a picture.

·
Registered
2018 390 Duke
6 Posts
I can't tell if this forum is full of trolls and I should just ignore it or if you are, actually, completely incapable of taking someone at their word.

No. I didn't hit anything. The scratch in the paint was from my driveway when I was installing it. Clumsy me, I dropped it while I was aligning it to the bottom of the bike. Cheap POS that it is has cheap POS paint that effectively rubbed off. The bent angle of it is from myself and my buddy bending the thing out so that we could wedge some plastic in between the two halves of the crack to keep if from making the gawd awful rattle it was making and I could ride home.

I was already skeptical of this forum and it's inhabitants based on the minimal number of posts and the relative lack of useful information contained therein. Thanks for confirming my initial impressions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts