KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a KTM DUKE 390 (2018) with 2200kms on the clock and I have just had HLU error pop up.... I know its headlight related as I've seen plenty of info on it. Plus the headlight is off.... I was waiting at a long stop light for 10 mins (Roadworks) when it suddenly popped up.

Anyway the issue is that I can't seem to find any information on how to fix it. I would like to do it myself (don't have cash to spare on a pro) Videos would be great as i don't know my way around this bike well enough yet, especially the wiring.... I assume it's probably a fuse or a wire somewhere that's causing the issues...
On top of that.... (SUPER **** LUCKY LATELY)

I've also had a gear shift issue start around the same time within minutes of the HLU error, though I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with each other and I'm just having terrible luck.

Anyway:

Shifting up gears is fine and smooth, however when shifting down gears it often gets stuck in 3rd and doesn't want to go lower. I have to jiggle it up or down to get it to click in, then do the same till i get back to first. It doesn't happen all the time but it's quite regular. All the connections and levers are tight and don't slip so I believe its internal.

My main question on this is, has anyone else had a similar problem? and how screwed am I?

·
Registered
453 Posts
It might just be a bad cable connection. I suggest look in the manual (available on this site) how to remove the headlight. Then check the wires.
And maybe the problems are connected. I.e. a bad connection to the TFT or another ECU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might just be a bad cable connection. I suggest look in the manual (available on this site) how to remove the headlight. Then check the wires.
And maybe the problems are connected. I.e. a bad connection to the TFT or another ECU.
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the headlight off and finding that the idiot who owned the bike before me (or the service people) probably had the HLU error previously for different reasons. Anyway They broke off the clip that holds the main connect in place firmly so the connector was just laying loose in the void. It probably rattled loose on the crap road i was riding along.

I managed fix it so that it wouldn't come off again. Thanks again for the advice. I probably would have been looking everywhere else bar there!
As for the gears the bike seems to work fine if you clutch down every gear without skipping any. But we'll see how that goes long term. It's not ideal sometimes...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts