KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Who sets the RPM to flash during the break in period, the dealer who puts the bike together (I'd doubt it) or KTM?

I'm curious because my RPM starts to flash at 6500RPM (104km/h) but the owner manual that came with my bike clearly says the maximum RPM during break in is 7500RPM. Should I respect the flashing or I can push it closer to 7500RPM? I'm still 1/2 way through freedom...

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
AFAIK it's KTM. I think I also remember reading someone had his first service just before the 1000km and received the bike back with the RPM limiter still active - it went away by itself once he rode some more. So based on that, I'd assume the dealer doesn't set or reset the limiter. Not 100% sure though.

Mine would also flash earlier than the limit stated in the manual, I believe that's intended - the flashing is to warn you you're getting close. When you go pass the limit, the RPM counter turns to solid black (or red? the color that it's flashing with) to indicate you've gone too far.

The way I did it was to try and shift up when it started blinking, but I went over 8000 RPM a few times when I got carried away or had to finish overtaking.

As for whether break-in is necessary in the first place and what strategies are optimal, MC Garage made a video about it. The takeaway is, the engine will probably be fine whatever you do.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Same as Big Mac, usually shifted up when it started blinking, ran to 7500 rpm on the motorway and occasionally went above this when needed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect!

I still won't ride like I stole it but I won't baby it as much as I was!

BTW, I got really lucky today. My new Kryptonite rear disk lock started acting up where the key would only turn 1/2 way and I had to wiggle it a bunch to finally open up. It did it a few times 2 weeks ago then was fine until today when without notice it just locked itself. I tried for several minutes to free it to no avail. Luckily, I was trying to put it on the bike. Can you imagine if I had been trying to remove it from my wheel instead!!!

Kryptonite are being very good so far and offered a replacement one. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try spraying some silicone spray into the lock. You may have some crud in there?
It's been acting up from day 1 so I don't trust it anymore. Plus it's never been in the rain or bad weather (always covered area). I don't feel like having to use my grinder on it ;)
But I'll try anyway, if I can free it and test it for a while that'd be an extra lock to have around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, that shift light is getting annoying. I am not winding it out every shift or bumping the rev limiter but it feels like I am going to blow up the bike when it's constantly on over 65 mph. 600 miles can't come quick enough! (Although then I am on the hook for some pricey service...)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just hit my 600 mile service mark and still have the rpm warnings. Are the warnings just going to magically go away? Also, Im doing my own service change as my dealer told me that without the valve check, I'm no longer needed to bring the bike back to them for the “glorified” oil change, as he called it. How does my service light reset? Is it something i have to do after I change the oil?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also wonder the answer to your question. I read elsewhere that one members’ light? Went away around 630ish miles. Keep riding.

I’ve been reading the service manual hoping to find the answer to this question. No joy so far

·
Registered
94 Posts
Red blinking rpm limit will change to default settings and an option to adjust them will unlock in the tft on its own, mine did at around 1030km (640mi~) just be patient guys :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Same here, shift warning went away by itself at just over 1,000km

And l was able to set it myself after that. I think it’s a good idea to take some care with the engine when it’s new, no need to ride everywhere at 40mph but best not to take it to the limit until the first service has been done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here. Noticed mine around 625 mile mark. I pulled over and seen it would allow me to change the settings. I'm sure I was grinning ear to ear!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm pretty sure they set it to flash at 6500 to get your attention so you don't go over the 7500 limit.

As for the change in shift point, I thought the dealer adjusted mine, but I took it in really close to the first service point since I purchased a service plan along with the bike. Gotta get my money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm at 652 miles and still have the "break in" red tachometer. Service light has been reset. Starting to wonder if they programmed the 2019 models to not change to default mode until 700 miles or maybe even up to 1000.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm at 652 miles and still have the "break in" red tachometer. Service light has been reset. Starting to wonder if they programmed the 2019 models to not change to default mode until 700 miles or maybe even up to 1000.

This may have very well changed for the 2019. What does the owners manual say? Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This may have very well changed for the 2019. What does the owners manual say? Please keep us posted!
Nothing I can find besides what we all think is common knowledge and that the bike should be ran with low and variable RPM until the first 621 miles/1000 kilometers. Perhaps if it is something different for the 2019 it is not noted in the manual because it is the exact same manual printed for the 2017 and 2018 years. I will update this thread with what the dealer tells me (whenever they respond to my email).

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 2019 manual is a bit different than the 2018, for example you can no longer disable ABS in 2019 (only put it in super moto mode).

My tach is normal but I can't remember if it got that way after the first service (ie. when the dealer connected a diagnostic computer) or after the set mileage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine also changed on it's own somewhere around the 625 mile mark. And I didn't take it to the dealer for the first service, so they don't have to do anything.

Cheers!

Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine also changed on it's own somewhere around the 625 mile mark. And I didn't take it to the dealer for the first service, so they don't have to do anything.

Cheers!

Craig
Thanks for your post. I've been waiting to see that. I didn't take mine in either and was hoping it will happen on it's own.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts