KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello family,

I’ve had my 2019 duke 390 for about a week and put 300 miles on it. I have been worrying about the initial service at 600 miles and been calling dealers to get a price check on the valve check.

carolina ktm has told me that ktm has changed the initial valve check to the first 7000 miles.

I will like to know if you guys heard of this as well and also what should I do at 600 miles? Should I change the oil, filter, and strainers?

thank you and look forward to hearing from you guys!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
9300 miles, it's right in your 2019 owners manual. Yes, pull and replace both screens and the oil filter and oil at 600. The dealer is still going to charge you an hour, to log onto KTM and log your 600 mile service (for basic warranty affirmation)... so you might as well let them do the oil change for you. If you read the manual verbatim, you're also required to have the bike checked every 12 months, for [yada-yada], even if you don't reach a mileage monument, so check that out.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Please also remember that the valve clearances have changed with the Gen 2 bikes and KTM Austria told us these new clearance settings may be used for the Gen 1 bikes as well.
Won't hurt if you have the clearances checked at the first oil change though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You might change your oil out right now!!
I performed my first oil change along with the filter and screens, at 200 miles. I found more swarf and debris than I would have liked to see in the screens. You cannot do any harm by changing out the oil sooner than the intervals written in the manual. Especially when the engine internals are new. Oil is the lifeblood of the engine.
The quality of these engines are not on par with Japanese manufacturers and extending your oil changes is a bit of blind faith.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got my valves checked at 618 miles and the engine developed a knock at 675 miles. KTM replaced the entire engine July 2019. When I got the new engine up to 600 miles, KTM paid for the next “first” service (which did not include a valve check)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got my valves checked at 618 miles and the engine developed a knock at 675 miles. KTM replaced the entire engine July 2019. When I got the new engine up to 600 miles, KTM paid for the next “first” service (which did not include a valve check)
Please also remember that the valve clearances have changed with the Gen 2 bikes and KTM Austria told us these new clearance settings may be used for the Gen 1 bikes as well.
Won't hurt if you have the clearances checked at the first oil change though.
Thanks your your reply. What year was your ktm?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9300 miles, it's right in your 2019 owners manual. Yes, pull and replace both screens and the oil filter and oil at 600. The dealer is still going to charge you an hour, to log onto KTM and log your 600 mile service (for basic warranty affirmation)... so you might as well let them do the oil change for you. If you read the manual verbatim, you're also required to have the bike checked every 12 months, for [yada-yada], even if you don't reach a mileage monument, so check that out.
Thanks for the reply. Will do this and going to ask if they can use 300v oil as that is the oil I plan on using.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might change your oil out right now!!
I performed my first oil change along with the filter and screens, at 200 miles. I found more swarf and debris than I would have liked to see in the screens. You cannot do any harm by changing out the oil sooner than the intervals written in the manual. Especially when the engine internals are new. Oil is the lifeblood of the engine.
The quality of these engines are not on par with Japanese manufacturers and extending your oil changes is a bit of blind faith.
Mine has 430km and I was wondering to take it for an oil change, since I heard this motor has a lot debris at the beginning, I even reached to KTM but they haven't replied back, my concern is I am not riding the bike as much and probably will reach the 1,000 km mark in around 8 months after my purchase, this is not my first bike, but it is my first new bike thus with Warranty, not that having a warranty means much in Mexico, but I am still trying not to get screwed by a technicality, anyways, I was wondering if it was a good idea to do the 1st oil change at 500km and the 1st service at 1,000 km, but your comment really helped me to decide to do that, thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
You are welcome. I have pictures on here somewhere of the debris I found in my screens during the oil change I performed at the 200 mile mark.
There is never an acceptable reason to justify crap in the oil of an engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are welcome. I have pictures on here somewhere of the debris I found in my screens during the oil change I performed at the 200 mile mark.
There is never an acceptable reason to justify crap in the oil of an engine.
Agreed, but it is what it is with this engines, At least at delivery the tech told me it was really important to do the first service since he has spotted a lot of debris in this engines, that is what raised the question of this early oil change, thanks again ! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts