KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My Duke has only got around 2000kms, but the coolant started dripping when I came back from a short ride a few days ago. I am not sure what happened. Does anyone know what caused the problem. Will it be the seal which caused the problem? Or will it be the temperature as my country got really hot a couple days a ago? (Pls see the attached photos)

Cheers
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Automotive lighting

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I can't really see on your pics where the coolant comes from?
If it is the hose, I would drain the coolant (when cold) remove the hose clamp, pull off the hose, clean the surfaces and put it all back again.
The temperature will not be the issue as loads of these bikes are ridden in the tropics without these problems, neither will it be the water pump seal(s) as these will not leak to the outside (mostly).
These hose clamps are designed to keep a flexible tension on the hose throughout temperature changes but if it feels that there is hardly any spring tension on the clamp you might want to change it out for a new one.
Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome,

I can't really see on your pics where the coolant comes from?
If it is the hose, I would drain the coolant (when cold) remove the hose clamp, pull off the hose, clean the surfaces and put it all back again.
The temperature will not be the issue as loads of these bikes are ridden in the tropics without these problems, neither will it be the water pump seal(s) as these will not leak to the outside (mostly).
These hose clamps are designed to keep a flexible tension on the hose throughout temperature changes but if it feels that there is hardly any spring tension on the clamp you might want to change it out for a new one.
Good luck with the fix.

Hi there, thanks for your reply!!! I was thinking about Thermostat which leaked the coolant. Is it normal to happen on the duke??
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Not really as the thermostat is a sealed plastic unit but perhaps a hose connection to the thermostat?
Your pictures are not of the thermostat though, these are all from the front of the bike.
If however, the coolant leaks out somewhere high it is impossible to know from where with your photos.
Is it possible it just leaked out of the overflow of the coolant canister?
Has the coolant level dropped a lot?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have checked the clamps and it’s a bit loose!! Thank you for ur reply! It really helps!! I will change the clamps and see it happens again or not!
Cheers
Personally I am not a lover of these spring clamps. I prefer the worm screw type that I can tighten to my liking. My partners 790 Duke had all the spring clamps replaced with worm type.....no more leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts