KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike just doesn't have the same punch it used to. Definitely down a significant amount of power. Both the uptake and top speed are significantly lower than they used to be. I think it's after a bad tank of gas. Had to tank up in the middle of nowhere with low octane, and since then it just hasn't been the same, even though I've since tanked up a few times with higher octane gas. It's due for its 2nd service, but I'm wondering if this is something I can maybe fix with a fuel injector cleaner additive to the gas? Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the valve clearance?
No, of course not. I'm not a mechanic, and the bike is very much still under warranty. Of course I'm taking it in to the shop, but if it's something as simple as additive to fix, I'd rather do that as the shops around here are super slow.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
I'm tanking low octane fuel a lot of times here on the roadside from glass or plastic bottles not knowing how long they have been there or what petrol it is.
Never had such a problem.
I have replaced my fuel filter 2 times in about 40,000 km and recently blown carb-cleaner through my injector to clean it out but in all honesty, I do not think your problem is caused by the fuel.
As moazman suggests have your dealer check/adjust the valves especially if this has not been done at the initial service (no matter what the manual or some members on here say).
I have never tried the additives you mention so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm tanking low octane fuel a lot of times here on the roadside from glass or plastic bottles not knowing how long they have been there or what petrol it is.
Never had such a problem.
I have replaced my fuel filter 2 times in about 40,000 km and recently blown carb-cleaner through my injector to clean it out but in all honesty, I do not think your problem is caused by the fuel.
As moazman suggests have your dealer check/adjust the valves especially if this has not been done at the initial service (no matter what the manual or some members on here say).
I have never tried the additives you mention so can't comment on that.
Ok, that's good to know. So, it's unlikely to be the dodgy gas, and the problem is elsewhere, possibly valves. Will bring it to the dealer, many thanks.

·
Registered
801 Posts
lt could be the valves need adjusting. KTM originally said it had to be done at the 600 mile service, but after 2018 it was moved to the second service.
There was a long thread on this forum about whether the valves should still be checked at the 600 miles service, with the usual arguments on both sides and no real conclusion.
l checked mine at around 1,000 miles and they were OK. Some have checked theirs and said that they needed adjustment.
So at 7,000 km yours is probably overdue a valve clearance check.

·
Registered
77 Posts
air filter? might not be breathing well enough to make power. or like a previous post mentioned, fuel filter. it might not be getting enough fuel to make all 43.

bad spark plug might also be a culprit but I'd check filters first before plug and valve clearances

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
air filter? might not be breathing well enough to make power. or like a previous post mentioned, fuel filter. it might not be getting enough fuel to make all 43.

bad spark plug might also be a culprit but I'd check filters first before plug and valve clearances
Air filter is good. Tomorrow it goes in for its 2nd service, so the valves will be adjusted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts