KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought a 390 Duke.

It runs and handles great, the problem is starting - first it wouldn't start when warm, so back to the garage and fixed - something wrong with the KTM valve settings that were issued!!

Now it won't start at all - so back to the garage tomorrow!

It is very frustrating - has anyone else had problems with the bike starting?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ive read of another person in India having this problem when the engine was warm, while they waiting for the repair they opened the throttle just a little on start up and it fired.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ive read of another person in India having this problem when the engine was warm, while they waiting for the repair they opened the throttle just a little on start up and it fired.
I have been following closely with the aritcles about the dukes from india. Now they are talking about whether it has to do with the build quality control. Some have mentioned that whatever problems arrise with the indian model dukes won;t neccessarily get carried over to the north american models.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have been following closely with the aritcles about the dukes from india. Now they are talking about whether it has to do with the build quality control. Some have mentioned that whatever problems arrise with the indian model dukes won;t neccessarily get carried over to the north american models.
But I thought they're all built in the same plant? If that's the case wouldn't they all share the same problems?

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I understand, they are all made in India by Bajaj, then shipped to Austria for QA check then shipped worldwide. This is why everyone is waiting so long for their order.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Similar issues here.

Cold starting is no problem, just don't touch the throttle.

Warm/hot starts won't happen unless I use a little throttle.

Once in a while it completely refuses to start from warm (but not hot) unless I turn the ignition off then on again (presumably resetting the ECU).

Now I have the hang of it, I think of it as character rather than a problem.

m

·
Registered
573 Posts
i had similiar problem ... and yes i get the hang of it :mad:... it engine went dead on a traffic light
due to my clutching skill .. then i need to push the bike to the side and try at least 5 to 10 times
cranking it up ...
it WILL HAPPEND after my 1 initial cold start .... be it ward or cold or super hot ... it wont start :mad::mad::mad:

thats why im sending back for my 1st service tomorrow ..clocked 491 as we speak

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
ok some field report to share ...
i just did my 1st service at 500km ... i can't wait anymore:p:p:p
so i presend the mechanic with my problem ...

1. Engine hard to re-start
Answer = need to trottle abit when cranking ... (it works for me now :) )
2. what is the reason ?
Answer = it is the behavior of the engine and fuel injection ... (duh ...that is not an answer at all ... anyway ... it solved my problem )
3. Rough engine ride
Answer = After your 1st service you will feel better as new enginer parts needed mileage to stabilised all interna parts ... initial wear and tear will smoothen the ride (so far after my engine oil change and filter ... i feel tat bit smoother ...
it was raining today .... so i did not hit the highway ... anyway ... tomorrow
i'll update again ... my record is 172 ... see if i can hit 180 then ...
Mech was saying it should be able to hit 190 as most of the test bike in
the assembly factory (Motanation - North of Malaysia) with Akra and K&N filter can easily hit 190 ... hmmmm sounds interesting eh ....:):):)

Best is .. duke 390 doesn't has seed cut ... yee haa .. Duke200 top 135km/j open speed cut can hit 160km/j max

till then ... happy riding folks ! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry for bringing an old thread.

i have the same problem recently. just 2 days after getting the bike it become more frequent.

on/off key, throttle abit while cranking just wont do.
is the problem really related to the valve clearance?

now, every day im late for work because it just wont start like it used to be.
aisehhh. help me

·
Registered
817 Posts
It does have something to do with the inlet valve from what Ive been told but Ive never had it sorted out. You only need to give it the smallest amount of throttle, so little that your really only taking up the slack in the cable.

·
Registered
573 Posts
my problem doesn't go away, even when i heat it up ... engine still cut-off when taking a corner while pressing the clutch ... it went dead ... already a few times ... and when i let go of the clutch ... it came back alive but the rear end will pull and it skidded ... dangerous !!!

i will try to tune the idling higher tomorrow ....

it also happens when i stop at traffic light and i give it some rev ... it can die on me on several occasion and caused further embarrassment moment ... hahaha ..i had a temporary factory new exhaust fitted without a cat and silencer and imagine the noise this 390 can make ...

·
Registered
817 Posts
my problem doesn't go away, even when i heat it up ... engine still cut-off when taking a corner while pressing the clutch ... it went dead ... already a few times ... and when i let go of the clutch ... it came back alive but the rear end will pull and it skidded ... dangerous !!!

i will try to tune the idling higher tomorrow ....

it also happens when i stop at traffic light and i give it some rev ... it can die on me on several occasion and caused further embarrassment moment ... hahaha ..i had a temporary factory new exhaust fitted without a cat and silencer and imagine the noise this 390 can make ...
Theres a person on "Duke owners experience" facebook page with the same problem. he had the KTM tech's go over it allday and I think the whole electrical system was to be replaced.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Phil's problem sounds extreme. I had starting issues at first but it is much better now after around 3000km. I'll bet if I stall it when warm it will still be a bitch. When this happens just leave it for 2 minutes before trying again. She will start...think of it as a personality trait...that way you won't feel like head butting the dash.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts