KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Refused to start with a blank display

D390 is my second Duke (D200 before this one), and before buying this one I knew I will face my share of known issues with this KTM.
Little did I know that I will be so fortunate (pun intended) that on the very first day I will face starting problems with the bike. It is continually discharging the battery with problems starting. The meter console goes blank when you push the start button, indicating a weak/dead battery. My bike is at the service center as I type this sad story of mine and I was told there was a starter coil issue which needed to be replaced.
God knows what triggered the burning of coil so early in this bike's lifespan (hardly done 1000kms):serious:
Pepole on indian biking forums say this is a known issue on the D390. Has anyone faced this issue? Is this a faulty electrical cabling from the battery to the components?

It is known from Bajaj to make substandard motorbikes atleast for the Asian markets. People still buy them because they are attractively priced. Sad but a fact that can not be ignored.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
D390 is my second Duke (D200 before this one), and before buying this one I knew I will face my share of known issues with this KTM.
Little did I know that I will be so fortunate (pun intended) that on the very first day I will face starting problems with the bike. It is continually discharging the battery with problems starting. The meter console goes blank when you push the start button, indicating a weak/dead battery. My bike is at the service center as I type this sad story of mine and I was told there was a starter coil issue which needed to be replaced.
God knows what triggered the burning of coil so early in this bike's lifespan (hardly done 1000kms):serious:
Pepole on indian biking forums say this is a known issue on the D390. Has anyone faced this issue? Is this a faulty electrical cabling from the battery to the components?

It is known from Bajaj to make substandard motorbikes atleast for the Asian markets. People still buy them because they are attractively priced. Sad but a fact that can not be ignored.
Sounds like a wire is not earthing as it should or like there could be a short-circuit. Best to return it to the dealer for a warranty repair.

·
Registered
211 Posts
yup ... it caught me on several slippery corners when i was shifting my gear from 4th to 3rd and ready to take the corner ... and the engine went Dead on me ... F ! and when i release the clutch ... it stutter and came back alive but the engine braking was evil .. i put both legs down to balance ...

agree on the cold start, had that prob and now it's gone, for the stalled issue no need to wait for 2 minute, when cranking just play abit on the throttle , it works all the time now.

the other issue on revving on free gear and engine went dead ... most prolly due to ... injector was saving too much gas .. i will try to play with the idling ... tune it to 1,800 ~2,000rpm ... hmmm....

now i have a new problem .. yesterday i notice i had a Blank Throttle, blank as in when throttling the engine has no feedback ... as if the cable is loose .... just now i had it again ... DAMNED ! ...
i had that throttle problem my self Phil but like a dead spot in the acceleration.
it magically disappeared within one month by it self & i still don't know what the problem was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an issue where when I pressed the ignition there was a single 'click' from the under the seat and it wouldn't start. All electrics were working.

At the time it happened, fuel was low, F = ~40km but there was still some in the tank. So I had assumed I lost at fuel light bingo and ran it too far.
I promptly refueled but it still wouldn't start. I changed the battery, checked the fuses and it still wouldn't start.

By the negative terminal of the battery tucked inside are 2 parts with the word 'coil' on them. I'm not sure if this is the Solenoid or Alternator but I lightly tapped each one around 5 times with a screwdriver and hey presto! it starts

I have no idea what I did or how it worked. I've read something about solenoid brushes getting stuck and the like but I wanted to share the issue I had and how I fixed as I trawled the entire forum and couldn't find a similar issue. Will try and take a pic of the parts I am talking about tonight.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Another starting issue. A day ago I did the 15 minute CU educational exercise as I donned a DNA air filter.
About 2 hours later I wanted to go for a ride to check things out only to find:
All s normal, dash comes on, fuel pump sings but when pressing to start only the solenoid under the pillion seat rattles but the starter is not engaged.
If keeping the starter button compressed, the rattling of the solenoid stops briefly, the fuel pump starts to "sing" again and a new sequence of rattling by the solenoid sets in.
Can it be that the ECU is out of sinque or battery too low?
Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Another starting issue. A day ago I did the 15 minute CU educational exercise as I donned a DNA air filter.
About 2 hours later I wanted to go for a ride to check things out only to find:
All s normal, dash comes on, fuel pump sings but when pressing to start only the solenoid under the pillion seat rattles but the starter is not engaged.
If keeping the starter button compressed, the rattling of the solenoid stops briefly, the fuel pump starts to "sing" again and a new sequence of rattling by the solenoid sets in.
Can it be that the ECU is out of sinque or battery too low?
Any advice is much appreciated.
I would certainly start by ensuring your battery is fully charged - electrical systems can start doing all sorts of weird stuff is battery voltage is low. Having said that, you should be getting the low battery warning on the dash if the battery is the problem (and my bike occasionally flashes up the low battery warning but will still start - no issues).

If you still get the issue with a fully charged battery then following the procedure in the post immediately above yours in this thread has to be worth a try:

I had an issue where when I pressed the ignition there was a single 'click' from the under the seat and it wouldn't start. All electrics were working.

At the time it happened, fuel was low, F = ~40km but there was still some in the tank. So I had assumed I lost at fuel light bingo and ran it too far.
I promptly refueled but it still wouldn't start. I changed the battery, checked the fuses and it still wouldn't start.

By the negative terminal of the battery tucked inside are 2 parts with the word 'coil' on them. I'm not sure if this is the Solenoid or Alternator but I lightly tapped each one around 5 times with a screwdriver and hey presto! it starts

I have no idea what I did or how it worked. I've read something about solenoid brushes getting stuck and the like but I wanted to share the issue I had and how I fixed as I trawled the entire forum and couldn't find a similar issue. Will try and take a pic of the parts I am talking about tonight.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
I would certainly start by ensuring your battery is fully charged - electrical systems can start doing all sorts of weird stuff is battery voltage is low. Having said that, you should be getting the low battery warning on the dash if the battery is the problem (and my bike occasionally flashes up the low battery warning but will still start - no issues).

If you still get the issue with a fully charged battery then following the procedure in the post immediately above yours in this thread has to be worth a try:
Dear 640,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
Also my apologies as I didn't see/read the post of Hay Yau for some strange reason?
I will give all advices a try.

Duke on!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
im facing same problem.. after washing of my bike. when i ride 4-5km my bike stopped :(
Just a reminder: Careless washing of a bike with water can easily cause unexpected/unexplained electrical gremlins and malfunctions. Unlike cars, most bikes are really not designed to cope well with water that infiltrates the electrical system. Adventure bikes, in general, are more resistant to water infiltration, since they are designed to venture into difficult environments that often include water crossings and bad weather. Street bikes, in particular, are on the whole the least prepared to deal with water which gets into places it should not go. The Duke 390 has proven vulnerable to both electrical and mechanical problems caused by water infiltration. Water is an excellent electrical conductor, and when water is found where it should not be in the electrical system, current will always seek the path of least resistance - ie, a short circuit. The 390's steering head bearings, as well, have proven susceptible to rust when water invades the steering column. Washing with a hose is indeed the best way to provoke electrical mischief, as water can be sprayed into the bike from every side and every angle, including upwards.

The best technique for avoiding water-induced electrical problems is to avoid water altogether: clean your bike with a detailer spray. If you must use water, use a bucket and sponge, not a hose, taking care to use as little water as possible, and avoiding splashing/wiping /dripping/spraying water into the electrical system. Dry immediately, with a hair dryer or leaf blower if possible. Water is not your bike's friend. Riding in the rain, sometimes unavoidable, is less likely to provoke electrical problems because the electrical system is somewhat more protected when water strikes the bike from above or frontally: More pernicious is water approaching the bike from any quarter out of a hose or nozzle. Washing should be done with great care.

Reactions: B7ACKTHORN and Ubik

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently got my 390 duke and rode it 6 miles and it wouldn't start the starter was making scary noises and the system computer kept on reseting. The ECU or electronic control unit and the cpu weren't getting enough power due to a crappy battery that wouldn't hold its charge. I went to my Dealer in NJ and they made up some BS why they wouldn't replace it. So i decided that i might as well upgrade to a lithium battery now.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I recently got my 390 duke and rode it 6 miles and it wouldn't start the starter was making scary noises and the system computer kept on reseting. The ECU or electronic control unit and the cpu weren't getting enough power due to a crappy battery that wouldn't hold its charge. I went to my Dealer in NJ and they made up some BS why they wouldn't replace it. So i decided that i might as well upgrade to a lithium battery now.

That's a bunch of BS! What a crappy dealership...

·
Registered
6 Posts

What are these 2 parts your talking about i have a similar issue

41 - 52 of 52 Posts