KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I stumbled across this forum whilst trying to figure out whether it is possible to install a 390 duke engine into the 125 duke chassis.

I understand many of the components are indeed shared across the range but I cant seem to find any technical details on this subject of conversions.

If the engine will fit, will the brakes? it's all well and good going faster but I need to be able to stop too.

forks, suspension, fuel tank, electronics, wheels/tyres?

Is there much paperwork involved in this type of thing (DVLA)?

If anyone has any experience in this subject then I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks for your time.
Rich.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You'll need to change the gearbox as well as it is a completely different one and I'd imagine an ECU remapping will be needed too. As for the brakes, forks and fuel tank they are almost the same. No problems there.

Being practical, when you finished that project you may notice you have spent more time and money than you would selling the D125 and buying a brand new D390 with the additional beneffit of having ABS.

·
Registered
208 Posts
But at the point that you have to take it into a tuning shop, you could probably sell it and but something new for a similar cost. I'm not so sure that this is worth the time, energy, and funds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm from Msia and there is a lot of ppl seeking the 390 engine especially to upgrade from the 200. So a lot of bikes are stolen due to the demand.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm from Msia and there is a lot of ppl seeking the 390 engine especially to upgrade from the 200. So a lot of bikes are stolen due to the demand.
usually this happens a lot to new bikes, seen some stats on new bike theft and it's enough to make you want to hide your bike

·
Registered
21 Posts
They don't have the 390 here in Indonesia

They don't have the 390 here in Indonesia
They sold one for $12,000

I'm going to drop a 390 in my 200!

·
Registered
94 Posts
for a rough price idea, I saw on ebay Australia today someone selling a 390 in parts eg. Engine, Wireing harness etc etc. Might be worth a look to get a rough idea on prices.

I am suprised there is no 390's in Indo, I know one of the 390's 2013 model was for sale in Hanoi and the paperwork showed it came via Indo.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You'll need to change the gearbox as well as it is a completely different one and I'd imagine an ECU remapping will be needed too. As for the brakes, forks and fuel tank they are almost the same. No problems there.

Being practical, when you finished that project you may notice you have spent more time and money than you would selling the D125 and buying a brand new D390 with the additional beneffit of having ABS.
Changing the motor = equals changing the gearbox as they are joined together, How do you change the motor without changing the gearbox??? Harley Davidson is about the only motorbike on the road these days with a separate gear box

hopefully all the wiring / plugs etc is the same then simply change the motor & ECU, Not a big job really just a matter of spending the money, As the OP has mentioned many times a 390 Duke is $12000 US in Indo, There is a 390 motor here in Australia for $1500 AU, Swap motor (& ECU) to 390, sell the old motor, Sounds a lot cheaper than $12000 even with shipping the motor etc
Checkout the parts fische diagrams online to compare the wiring harness & cables (Clutch cable difference?) etc

Engine>
Used KTM 390 Duke Engine Complete | eBay

ECU>
Used KTM 390 Duke ECU | eBay

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Have a look here, same seller, just all the Duke 390 parts he has. I'd be looking at the larger front brake disc (if you want to go faster, better brakes are a must), the exhaust, then you'd still need to source the 390 headers because the engine won't fit with the 200 headers, throttle body and possibly the wiring harness and definitely the engine and ECU as @KTM390DUKEINOZ mentioned.

byronmotosparesonline | eBay

·
Registered
21 Posts
I stepped up and bought that used 2014 390 engine, throttle body, ECU, ABS system, front rotor with ABS that is listed above
:)

I'm told my the KTM dealer here this swap will be straightforward nothing else is different.. I searchd and the fuel pump is the same. I've asked for any small motor mounts and hardware that holds the motor..
We'll see if there is any modification needed soon..

Got a 2014 390 engine for about us$1,200, ECU $160, Throttle body $315, Complete ABS system $360, Front ABS Rotor $60
So I'm way ahead on the budget..
Going to be fun either way..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I stepped up and bought that used 2014 390 engine, throttle body, ECU, ABS system, front rotor with ABS that is listed above
Awesome! Looking forward to your build thread! We'll support you where we can. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I found the motor etc listed on ebay before we even bought our 390 Duke, The seller is only a bit of a drive up the highway from me, I knew it would come in handy for someone

1 - 20 of 39 Posts