KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Had an issue with the Duke lastnight and left me stranded, starter button ceased to work at all. I had to ute it home and checked it this morning, the starter switch is cheap crap and had the smallest amount of crap in betweem the 2 contact points. After a shot of WD40 it worked again, so if your starter is causing issues this will be the problem.

Didnt get a pic of underneath the white cap but if you unscrew the little one in the pic then get a small flat screwdriver it will just pop up. Blow it out and spray, I will be sealing mine up with Belray Waterproof Grease in all the gaps to stop this happening again.

And while it was on there I got a pic ;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was on a flat and no matter what gear I tried it just wouldnt spin through. It just kept locking up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, I was on a flat and no matter what gear I tried it just wouldnt spin through. It just kept locking up.
A good tip from my racing days ( when all races in the UK were started with push starts !) is to engage 2nd gear then pull the engine backwards onto compression. Trouble is I don't know if the decompressor on the Duke lets you feel where that is, I'll have to give it a try.
Most riders would then leap on side saddle as they released the clutch. Of course if someone made a hash of it there could be complete mayhem off the start line.
My own technique was to leap aboard more like a rodeo rider which was OK if the bike started first time but useless if it didn't and you had to get off and push again. As I was usually riding a road based bike I had plenty of opportunity to practice and make sure the bike was an easy starter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Always use first gear. Push it back against compression
and select neutral. Push untill reasonable speed, jump on
it, select one, let clutch go and at the same time let
all off your weight fall on the seat.

The problem with using higher gears is the piston speed
will become too low. I learned this the hard way, many
Le Mans start at classic races and bump starting my
570cc Gilera Saturno's, Piuma and big Husqy supermono
racers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ute's are awesome. it's one of those cars I wish would start trending here in the Philippines.

With the starter issues, I used to have honda with a faulty starter button and it had no kick so I got used to pushing it alot.

What I did was put it in 2nd gear(sometimes 3rd) and started to push while holding the clutch. When I've gained enough speed I jump onto the saddle and just as I'm about to sit down, I release the clutch. Works almost everytime.

Some of my friends used to laugh at me a lot because of my push starter. I literally needed to push the bike to get it started :D

I'm not sure about the duke though. And I would suggest not stepping on the pegs to hard when jumping unto the bike saddle. I've seen alot of them break easily because of the cheap materials used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts