KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth upgrading to Akrapovic? I mean, sure the stock can sounds like a generator, but won´t the Akra add weight and raise the centre of gravity of the bike?

Also I managed to spot a 200duke with a 160 tyre on the back as opposed to the stock 150 and it looked beefier. Is it safe to do this on a 390 duke?

·
Registered
200 Posts
@gpaul

When it comes down to exhaust upgrades the beneficial factor is minimal for performance gains compared to say sprockets. you would gian just a little horsepower if any, not that noticable either. However it does help with smoothing out the powerband if tuned right. But if you want better sound and somewhat of a weight reduction with an aftermarket exhaust like the akrapovic. Persoanlly I would just because on every single bike that I have owned in the past I have upgraded the exhaust.

For the upgraded plus size tire on the rear it would have to depend on the swingarm clearance. this would be a better queation for those with the 390 who have gone through with the upgrade. We just need to figure out what the exact measurement between the swing arm if in fact it is capable.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i can only comment on the rear 150 to 160. So far i clocked 1300km on countryside and hiting the highway once a while even on rainy days with no problem ... im using Pirelli Angel ST ... front 120/70 and rear 160/60

My next change i would like to try 120/60 and 170/60 on a BT-023

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i can only comment on the rear 150 to 160. So far i clocked 1300km on countryside and hiting the highway once a while even on rainy days with no problem ... im using Pirelli Angel ST ... front 120/70 and rear 160/60

You clocked 1300km :D
You sir have the fastest production street legal motorcycle in the world.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Any issues with the bike yet? I live in London and I plan to commute with it. I've done my licence on a Er 6n which is a bit too much for the city. I gave a 125 a go but I felt like I needed a bit more power, so the 390 ticks all the boxes for now. Also, would you be able to post some numbers fuel consumption wise please?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well.... i rode like a hooligan and i'm pump RON97 since day one ... but here are the latest FC and ride from mytrips apps for your information

Distance = 256.32km
Moving time = 2:52:36
Avg Speed = 88.94km/h
Max Speed = 159.04 (my duke meter shows 162km/h

about 12liter of petrol

about 4.68L per 100KM

Any issues with the bike yet? I live in London and I plan to commute with it. I've done my licence on a Er 6n which is a bit too much for the city. I gave a 125 a go but I felt like I needed a bit more power, so the 390 ticks all the boxes for now. Also, would you be able to post some numbers fuel consumption wise please?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well.... i rode like a hooligan and i'm pump RON97 since day one ... but here are the latest FC and ride from mytrips apps for your information

Distance = 256.32km
Moving time = 2:52:36
Avg Speed = 88.94km/h
Max Speed = 159.04 (my duke meter shows 162km/h

about 12liter of petrol

about 4.68L per 100KM
Which app is that from?

I wonder if you can get any more for top speed... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
573 Posts
it's My Tracks by google ... im using Note3 and previously note2, it comes with it ... pretty neat apps

we'll before my 1st service 0 - 500km , i hit 172 once ... so far weather is not on my side for me to test the new top speed. So far i did 162km/h but gps says 159.04. I trust GPS then the Odometer as i have upsize my front tyre from 110/70-17 to 120/70-17

·
Registered
573 Posts
oh oh ... my dealer says when they were invited to Motonation ( the Duke assembler in North Malaysia) factory 390 with akra and k&n filter can hit 180km/h and that is the max so far ....

im waiting for my akra .... 22th Dec ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh oh ... my dealer says when they were invited to Motonation ( the Duke assembler in North Malaysia) factory 390 with akra and k&n filter can hit 180km/h and that is the max so far ....

im waiting for my akra .... 22th Dec ....
So did you have to change anything to your bike to accommodate the wider rear tire?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nop ... i got it change b4 the bike leaves the showroom. And i had it balanced.

So i do not know what's the handling like B4 and After the change...
so far .. i have zero problem with the 1size up front & rear.

So did you have to change anything to your bike to accommodate the wider rear tire?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would rather stick to the stock 110.70/17 as our front wheel is just a 3inch width rim. 120.70's are for 3.5inch width front rims...and so are 160's and 170's...they are designed only to be used on 4.5inch or wider width rear rims... our 390's use a 4inch rim..thus, the 150 size.

I replaced my tires to Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa SC1 (soft compound) front in 110.70/17 and SC2 (Medium compound) rear 150.60/17...grip levels are simply astonishing! I do lots of canyon riding here and these tires I can say, give so much grip at extreme lean angles. Thumbs Up!!!

Photo of my bike at page 3: WHEEL COLOR - Hot Topics this week[/B]

Painted my wheels jet gloss black and installed new tires after...sold my stock metz to a friend with just 575kms on the clock...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Regarding the exhaust this is what I think about it being a former user of a yoshimura.

Performance: As other said, in order to see a noticeable (not significant) power increase you have to buy a piggy bag ECU and an air filter. You won't see any difference without the three of them. In the end it will take about 1.000 USD to see three or four more ponies. Does it worth? answer that yourselve.

Safety:It DOES make your daily conmute safer as other drivers know you're around. No question about it.

Looks: the D390 exhaust is not ugly. I woudn't use it (I had it in my old CBR250R because the stock exhaust is a ugly one)

Resale: Definitely not a good business. I started to sell it with the yoshi on and nobody called me. Once I removed it, I sold it right away. People tend to think a bike with an aftermarket exhaust is heavily tweaked and that was not my case whatsoever.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Regarding the exhaust this is what I think about it being a former user of a yoshimura.

Performance: As other said, in order to see a noticeable (not significant) power increase you have to buy a piggy bag ECU and an air filter. You won't see any difference without the three of them. In the end it will take about 1.000 USD to see three or four more ponies. Does it worth? answer that yourselve.

Safety:It DOES make your daily conmute safer as other drivers know you're around. No question about it.

Looks: the D390 exhaust is not ugly. I woudn't use it (I had it in my old CBR250R because the stock exhaust is a ugly one)

Resale: Definitely not a good business. I started to sell it with the yoshi on and nobody called me. Once I removed it, I sold it right away. People tend to think a bike with an aftermarket exhaust is heavily tweaked and that was not my case whatsoever.

Good analysis. The last bike I sold with an aftermarket exhaust was to a buyer who insisted it be changed back to stock before she rode it away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts