·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Gonna unload the Fizzer Hoover ?

If the 690 retails at $8600 and the Super Duke at $16K this one is likely to run $10K-$11K if not a bit more I suspect. BMW gets $13K for the F800R (95HP) so maybe a 110HP V-Twin KTM at that price point will get some takers. Hopefully, it'll be Austrian built, otherwise it may not be such a good deal after all.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna unload the Fizzer Hoover ?

If the 690 retails at $8600 and the Super Duke at $16K this one is likely to run $10K-$11K if not a bit more I suspect. BMW gets $13K for the F800R (95HP) so maybe a 110HP V-Twin KTM at that price point will get some takers. Hopefully, it'll be Austrian built, otherwise it may not be such a good deal after all.

Just sayin'...
They'd never sell it here at that price. It will need to be close to the FZ09 and others similar.
Selling my FZ has never crossed my mind, I adore that bike and have spent a ton on it to get it where it is. But, these will be too similar to justify two naked 8's.
I guess we shall see eh!!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I downloaded the Motorrad article (costs 2 Euros), which is quite detailed and interesting. Motorrad, as the biggest, most prestigious and probably the most technically versed Euro moto-journal, is pretty credible and usually can be taken seriously. They have a full-time moto-spy on staff, for example, just to get the early scoop on emerging new models. Some tidbits on the Duke 800:

--The bike will not be built in India, but in Mattighofen. Like Triumph's Street Triple, it will come in two models: The R, pictured in the artist's computer rendering, with high-zoot WP suspension components and Brembo brakes. Motorrad speculates that this model will be priced in the "over 10K Euro range". HP likely around 110. Then there will be a basic model with lower-tier braking and suspension components, and a lower price to match. The basic model may be restricted to 95 HP to fit EU A2 license (ie, learner) requirements.

--Why did KTM choose a parallel twin, rather than the v-twin configuration for which it is known? Three reasons: V-twin is long, with cylinders spread fore and aft; V-twin is heavy, with separate cams, heads, cam drives, cooling, etc. for each cylinder; V-twin is for above reasons, expensive. Parallel twin is the most compact, lightweight and inexpensive-to-produce configuration. This allows for an all-new, very compact frame and overall size. Weight less than 200 kg.

--Frame will be a steel trellis, in current Duke tradition, but with tubes encircling the engine and coming together behind the headstock. There may be a bolt-on aluminum rear subframe, as shown in the computer image.

--The 800 Duke is in an advanced stage of development and will be offered in the 2016 model year. Exhaust system shown on test mule is production-ready, according to Motorrad.

--Rear shock will be a direct linkage -without ratio lever - from swingarm to a frame cross member, like the 390.

--Motorrad describes the 800cc category as "one of the most competitive and biggest-selling market segments" currently in motorcycling. KTM, they say, is aiming to be "competitive and successful" in this niche. (If so, the KTM, along with Triumph's forthcoming 800cc Street Triple, will have to be priced close enough to Yamaha's FZ/MT-09 to tempt buyers.)

Not mentioned in the Motorrad article are reports in the Indian motopress that 800cc KTM prototypes (Duke and Adventure) have been seen testing in India. I speculate that that production of the basic version of the 800 possibly might be transferred to KTM partner Bajaj after a couple of years into initial production in Austria. This would allow the 800 to be brought to market globally at a substantially lower price. The R version might stay in Mattighofen.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The 690 is built in Matighofen, with QC and a price to match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts