KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got a 2015 Duke 390 Second hand and I have to say after owning a few EX250R's that I am hands down loving the bike. Getting it was pure **** show however, Driving it home through the snow / rain 10K elevations down pouring like ****.

I am use to having a bike that makes a little bit more noise and I really like the sound of the Yoshimura R77 3QTR. I have a few questions though

If I were to pick up this pipe and attach it, Is it possible I could tune the bike my self?
If it can be tuned my self, what sort of equipment would I need?

What do you guys recommend for aftermarket rear fender? This thing is hideous!

I will be riding the bike sometimes at night, Looking for maybe a possible orange or white under glow for a bit more visibility, Has anyone done this or recommend any ideas

I have read a few times there is options to remove the cat / silencer ? Are parts required to do this ?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Easier to ask one question I think. I know nothing of the gen 1 Dukes. But there is a search function here which might help. Lots of older threads written when more people had the older bikes.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I was hoping someone with a gen 1 would hop in. I don’t own one so I’ve never invested any time in learning how to tune them. My understanding is that you can tune them directly. If you want to know more I’d recommend spending some time on the RC390 forum as there was a racing series so they spent a fair bit of time exploring how to get more power. Alternatively you can use a piggyback and tune that most popular map units I think are PowerTRONIC or Power Commander so you need to decide which. Or you could choose an auto tune piggyback and just let it do it’s thing. Of course it’s more complicated than that so you probably need to decide which direction you want to head in first - I don’t think there are any right or wrong directions.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can’t comment on fenders for the gen 1.

Gen 1 and gen 2 exhausts have different flanges so whilst you can swap the complete systems you can’t swap the individual parts. Gen 1 are slip fit and there are a lot of aftermarket pipes and adapters to delete the stock cat and muffler. Can’t comment on your choice but if you delete the cat and fit an more free flow system then I’d recommend piggyback or tune. There are some basic piggybacks that will just make it run a little richer which would do the job.

·
Registered
668 Posts
No problem. If you are just looking to compensate for the exhaust change then a Rapid Bike Easy or a Boosterplug might be a good option.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
When replacing the exhaust of the first-Gen Duke 390 you more than likely lose on power.
Hundreds of posts on aftermarket exhausts on the forum.
The OEM (Power Parts) Akropovic (not a copy from the Bay's) has a very tiny power increase when the ECU is flashed for this pipe. (KTM Akra Flash from the dealer)
On my 2015 Duke 390 I tried an Ixil Hyperlow and a MIVV Ghibli and went back to the stock T-pot.
When changing your exhaust and getting a piggyback, if you are riding a lot of various elevations you will be best of with a Rapid Bike EVO (that comes stock with a learning module to compensate for variables).
I am not familiar with body part alterations or lighting options.
If it is the power you are after your best bet is the full system TYGA exhaust and a dyno tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My only Avenue is to perform any modifications I do to the bike as myself I do not have the options to have someone else to do it

So it's a map for an ECU configuration can be sent to me with a exhaust for either of those two electronic modules that may be the only way that I can go about making the exhaust modification

I do not however want to start dropping 500 bucks here and there to try to make things work.

You guys having much more experience with these modifications to the bike greatly help me out so I really appreciate you guys leaving comments so that I can formulate something between your guys's experiences.

I found a Competition Werkes WKT390 GP Slip by Vivid Racing however this pipe seems a bit too loud and loses the throaty -ness

I'm not entirely sure exactly what you mean by piggyback does this mean to use a map that was provided to somebody else for a similar configuration that I have

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
No idea what this will cost where you are.
The Akropovic in 2015 I thought far too expensive hence my other try-outs.
The Akra Flash at the time came with the purchase of the pipe here in Asia at the dealer (not posted as the bike needs to be hooked up to their electronics).
The Rapid Bike EVO comes in at € 470 (I believe) from Dimsport Italy and needs no further tuning as the self-teaching module constantly adjusts the fuel injected from the circumstances it detects.

I all honesty I would spend my cash on a rear shock (Öhlins, Nitros, Bitubo etc) and Andreani fork inserts rather than a can with the high likelihood of losing power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm practically in the middle of no where, united states but the largest towns around me have a single street light.

Shipping is my only real concern. I'll do some research on the products you mentioned.

My main question that I have for your previous post is that you mentioned that the rapid bike Evo is capable of reprogramming and learning based on the changes that have been made, does this electronic tuner work for all exhaust modifications

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
I think where you live is not as remote as where we live in the Lao PDR,
I ordered a small temperature gauge from where you are who were unwilling/unable to send it to Laos.
Found a gentlewoman who was planning a visit to Luang Prabang and willing to have it send to her in the USA and hand carry it to Laos.
She first went to Chiang Mai in Thailand and then the pandemic started. long story short it took 5 and a half month to get to Luang Prabang and another 2 days to where I am.
A package sent via EMS from the UK on April 27th has not arrived yet.

In other words, I make **** sure I know what I am ordering as if it is wrong it could well be a year later for me to get the correct stuff.

As for street lights, I know only of 4 towns in the country here that have them :LOL:

To answer your question, yes it does as long as you keep the O2 sensor.
Obviously, this unit also has its limits as it will come with a general map designed for your type of bike and year of built and the auto-tune does the rest.
You can, however, use this RB EVO unit on another bike if you would switch bikes.
All you need then is a new loom/cabling and a flash for the new/other bikes which can be done remotely.

I'm practically in the middle of no where, united states but the largest towns around me have a single street light.

Shipping is my only real concern. I'll do some research on the products you mentioned.

My main question that I have for your previous post is that you mentioned that the rapid bike Evo is capable of reprogramming and learning based on the changes that have been made, does this electronic tuner work for all exhaust modifications

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can the Yoshimura R77 3QTR bolt onto the flange left by the can on the Duke 390?

Sounds like half the issue is resolved

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
No idea.
A quick search on the Yosumira website does not come up with anything for the Duke 390 from 2015?

Can the Yoshimura R77 3QTR bolt onto the flange left by the can on the Duke 390?

Sounds like half the issue is resolved

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
A quick search on the Yoshimura website does not come up with any exhaust for a Duke or RC 390.
Customer support where? Tried the factory?

My choice would be to look for an exhaust that is manufactured for the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 34 Posts