KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the valve clearances today as part of the first service. That is at least I managed to check the exhaust clearances which were both OK but I can't honestly say I could really measure the inner inlet clearance. The best I could do was establish that there was some clearance because there was free movement of the follower. The trouble is that 3 thou feeler gauges are so flexible that you can't be sure they are in the right place.

However that is just a digression. After I replaced the valve cover I wondered whether I should check the spark plug. In the end I decided to do it, largely out of curiosity. Having failed to find anything suitable in my toolkit I got out the KTM box spanner but it felt like it wasn't engaging. In the end I realised that it had dropped over the hexagon OK but in actual fact the spark plug was loose. I removed it using only fingers on the end of the box spanner.

I seem to have caught it in time to avoid serious damage. Luckily its a very long thread and there wasn't too much sign of blow by. The plug nose was very white as a result of overheating ( no heat conduction path to the cylinder head causes this) but not damaged in any way.

I have found quite a few loose screws on the engine including one on the water pump housing.

I'm so glad I decided to check that spark plug!

·
Registered
533 Posts
roadster what other screws have you found lose, might be useful to put out a PSA for members, CHECK YOUR NUTS!

(but seriously)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roadster what other screws have you found lose, might be useful to put out a PSA for members, CHECK YOUR NUTS!

(but seriously)
I have to be cautious here because I don't want anyone stripping threads but I found several of the engine case screws with 8mm heads a little loose. I'm talking about using a 1/4 drive socket and a screwdriver handle not a T bar with high leverage. The one I mentioned in the water pump housing went up several turns most just go up a little. What is most noticeable is the inconsistency. Some of the fasteners on the front forks came undone more easily than I would expect when the same fastener on the opposite side was tight. To be fair checking all fasteners is a part of the first service and I didn't find any loose engine bolts.

The manual gives quite low torque settings for a large number of bolts and screws and few, if any, of us have torque wrenches that can cover the 4-12 N.m ranges accurately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts