KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm about to perform an oil change on my new to me 2018.

I'm by no means a "Tim the tool man", but have used my share of tools to do numerous things. I've watched plenty of videos on changing the oil, and my only concern is how "trashy" or fragile some of you claim the hardware is on the bike. I just ordered the oil change kit from a KTM dealer and am confident on everything that needs to be done, I'm just really concerned about harming the plugs and/or nuts, if they are indeed as fragile as many of you say.

I'm planning on getting a torque wrench and I have sockets, what can I do to ensure I don't damage anything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you are concerned about damaging anything , go slow and take your time. I did mine a few weeks ago and yeah the Stock parts and pieces feel a little less than indestructible, they are fine. just dont use an impact gun to tighten everything down.
No worries - You can do it!

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
Stick to the torque settings and use common sense.
The hardware on the Dukes is similar to all bikes, no more trashy or fragile than on others.
Doing stuff by hand will give you a feel for handling such matters rather than a power tool as Pork chop Express mentioned.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The screen bolts on the engine are hollow alloy caps. Be very careful not to over tighten! I know the impact gun was a joke but I’d suggest no power tools for these.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello, I'm about to perform an oil change on my new to me 2018.

I'm by no means a "Tim the tool man", but have used my share of tools to do numerous things. I've watched plenty of videos on changing the oil, and my only concern is how "trashy" or fragile some of you claim the hardware is on the bike. I just ordered the oil change kit from a KTM dealer and am confident on everything that needs to be done, I'm just really concerned about harming the plugs and/or nuts, if they are indeed as fragile as many of you say.

I'm planning on getting a torque wrench and I have sockets, what can I do to ensure I don't damage anything?
Speaking from experience (I broke off an oil filter cover bolt and had to fish it out with an extractor), for torque settings below 10-15 lb ft don't use a traditional torque wrench that clicks. If you're set on using exact torque specs from the manual, pick up a "beam style" torque wrench which is much much safer. You can also just use a dot of blue loctite on each bolt and just hand tighten until they're snug which is what I do now. Your hand is a pretty good torque wrench and with the loctite those bolts are not going anywhere. It is also a good idea to just replace those crappy bolts with some solid ones from home depot or any hardware store because to be honest, you're going to be taking those bolts on and off semi-frequently and they're bound to fail at some point. They're literally like cheese.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can also just use a dot of blue loctite on each bolt and just hand tighten until they're snug which is what I do now. Your hand is a pretty good torque wrench and with the loctite those bolts are not going anywhere.
I think this is a horrible advice. Don't do this, actually. Use a good torque wrench, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
realistically , the torque values on these bolts are pretty low . i think 8 or 9 FT pounds ? that is not much at all.
Hand tight plus a nudge should be more than enough.

·
Registered
501 Posts
People have been changing oil in motorcycle engines for many decades without use of torque wrenches. Yes, it’s good practice but it’s far from necessary with such low torque fittings.

·
Registered
581 Posts
People have been changing oil in motorcycle engines for many decades without use of torque wrenches. Yes, it’s good practice but it’s far from necessary with such low torque fittings.
I thought the same thing when I changed the clutch on my last bike. Turns out that brass bolt heads will sheer off with only a smidge too much torque.

I own a small torque wrench now.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I thought the same thing when I changed the clutch on my last bike. Turns out that brass bolt heads will sheer off with only a smidge too much torque.

I own a small torque wrench now.
And for internal bolts that is always recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The screen bolts on the engine are hollow alloy caps. Be very careful not to over tighten! I know the impact gun was a joke but I’d suggest no power tools for these.
Thanks Mirius, are you the Mirius from Youtube? If so, you're video was one I've watched multiple times. The oil change went well, by the way! I would never use power tools.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts