KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all! I’m having a bit of trouble with the front brakes of the bike and wanted to see if someone here could help me out with it.

When I first got the bike out of the dealership, throughout the days, I noted that the front brakes would make a deep sound when braking mid-hard from higher speeds, but they worked perfectly. It was soft at the start when pulling the lever and got harder at the end.
Then I took it to the dealer to have it serviced for the first time and commented about the sound. The mechanic acknowledged the issue and said he had sanded the brake pads.
When I left on my bike and tried to brake, the lever was super hard at the start and I had almost none brake action, it would only brake if I pressed it smoothly, but it was like 40% braking capacity though, if I had to pull it hard like an emergency I would definitely crash.
The other day I returned with the bike and the guy said I had to use the brakes a bit to make it “settle”, and that it was normal (he hasn’t ridden the bike). I though that was b.s and took it to the mechanic that serviced my old Suzuki and told him the exact things I’m telling you guys. He took the bike for a ride and felt the same problem.
After that he took caliper off, the brake pads had a “glazed look” on them, he sanded it a bit, cleaned the disk with brake cleaner, the pads too, lubed the lever a bit and put it all together again. Improved by 30%. Then he started questioning the ABS, bc he felt that the lever was like locking in the middle of its normal course. Then I changed the ABS from road to supermoto, and… It was back to it fullest capacity like before.
So my question is, what happened? Did the dealer technician do something to the ABS sensor to make it engage before it was supposed to? I noticed too that the version of the bike got updated to the 1V08, could that have something to do with it?

·
Registered
825 Posts
If I understood your conundrum right, there aren't any sensors to tweak an ABS unit. An ABS unit is basically a sealed mechatronic unit. If it works, it works, if goes kaput, it goes kaput. The problem I see is that your brake bleeding hasn't been done right. I would recommend you to rebleed your complete system with a DOT 5.1 brake fluid, make sure air from the brake lines are completely and fully purged out. Also, I'd recommend you to have your front brake master cylinder inspected and replace the major kit if necessary. When debris along the fluid lines clog the ABS unit, part of the line that has blocked will cease to work and will result in ABS being non operational or brakes being ineffective and gradually hard.

Start off by purging your brake lines, use good quality brake fluid and if necessary replace major service kit on your front master cylinder.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts