KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done more than 3500Kms on the bike so far and thanks to the rear shocks feeling sorted I'm starting to have "more fun" which my fellow road travelers likely misread as hooliganism. I've settled to drop 2 PSI at the rear and add 2 up front and I think I like this setup for my 5 day week 40Km office ride through traffic that would make you weep.

Here's my dilemma, I think the front shock is pretty planted even pulling out of sharp bumpy wavy turns. It's when I hit potholes that are more than 1-2 inches deep at speed that the thwacking feedback feels really hard.

What can I do to reduce this and would adjusting this hamper the cornering?

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you soften the front you will loose sharpness when steering, there are kits out there that you can use to fine tune the suspension.
The fronts are pretty bad and mine are being looked at sooner than later, they just sit there sticking to the rings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Dan, makes me wonder if they are WP up front. Got a link to these kits and what do you feel could be done?

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you soften the front you will loose sharpness when steering, there are kits out there that you can use to fine tune the suspension.
The fronts are pretty bad and mine are being looked at sooner than later, they just sit there sticking to the rings.
I'm surprised that you have a low opinion of the front fork behaviour. Coming from a Honda I was pleased to find the suspension very much better. Its always more difficult to get this right on a lightweight machine and although I too have to cope with some serious potholes I prefer not to compromise by going softer and suffering from excessive fork dive and wallowing.

The one thing I have noticed is that under extreme braking there is a tendency for the forks to twist but I suppose that is to be expected with a single disc.

If the roads continue to deteriorate around here soon everyone will need an ATV or dual purpose on/off roader!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see how I could make them softer, I thought they weren't adjustable?
Here I was thinking about stiffening them up a bit by adding more oil, I have no idea.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't see how I could make them softer, I thought they weren't adjustable?
Here I was thinking about stiffening them up a bit by adding more oil, I have no idea.
Compared to other bikes of this type the forks have quite a lot of damping in my opinion. But yes you could probably use higher viscosity fork oil and you could also change the springs or increase the pre-load by adding internal spacers. I doubt whether this will give any improvement unless you weight is significantly above average or the ambient temperature is very high.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not for anything but there is no set of forks that I know off that will negate hitting a pothole. You've just run into a chunk of missing pavement...

The only real way to improve your front fork feel hitting potholes is to not hit potholes. You'd be surprised and the performance increase and poise through the potholes if you simply avoid the potholes ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts