KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello orange family. I installed a sc project exhaust. Now I'm thinking of adding a high flow airbox cover since i found one in thingiverse and printed it. Is it possible to use one with out an ecu? been watching stuff in youtube and noticed that they all got ecus. I'm concern that my engine will lean out and self destruct.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The duke already runs ridiculously lean from factory in order to fulfill euro 4 requirements. Changing to a new airbox lid will introduce more air into the engine, leaning the fuel mixture even more. By then, you could run the risk of pre-detonation.

If you are changing exhaust and the airbox lid, it would be best to get a powertronics/power commander unit installed to richen the fuel mixture.

You'll find the bike is more ridable at lower speeds.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Hi pocholo01,
With your SC Project exhaust (I hope not a copy) do you mean only the damper or did you also take off the cat?
As for the open airbox lid as long as you keep a quality air filter (DNA/K&N etc) you should be good.
Opening up the airflow through your engine will make a relatively lean running engine even leaner resulting in too high combustion chamber temperatures.
To combat the lean running you will need to add more fuel which can be accomplished by installing a piggyback such as a Dimsport Rapid Bike, PowerTronic, Athena, and many more.
A very simple device such as the Booster Plug accomplishes more or less the same BUT will add fuel (about 20%) regardless.

Hello orange family. I installed a sc project exhaust. Now I'm thinking of adding a high flow airbox cover since i found one in thingiverse and printed it. Is it possible to use one with out an ecu? been watching stuff in youtube and noticed that they all got ecus. I'm concern that my engine will lean out and self destruct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi pocholo01,
With your SC Project exhaust (I hope not a copy) do you mean only the damper or did you also take off the cat?
As for the open airbox lid as long as you keep a quality air filter (DNA/K&N etc) you should be good.
Opening up the airflow through your engine will make a relatively lean running engine even leaner resulting in too high combustion chamber temperatures.
To combat the lean running you will need to add more fuel which can be accomplished by installing a piggyback such as a Dimsport Rapid Bike, PowerTronic, Athena, and many more.
A very simple device such as the Booster Plug accomplishes more or less the same BUT will add fuel (about 20%) regardless.
I got the bike second hand. It didn't have a exhaust on it. so I added one. It still has the cat and baffle. Okay from what I gather on the replies. I need k&n filter and a powertronic, which is the one I'm interested in with the quick shifter.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Airbox lid is after the air filter so changes to air filter are meaningless given the bigger airbox and filter hence why air filter lid in gen 2 makes filter upgrade pointless

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Airbox lid is after the air filter so changes to air filter are meaningless given the bigger airbox and filter hence why air filter lid in gen 2 makes filter upgrade pointless
So stock air filter only plus lid?

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Interesting, I can't (for some reason) get pictures on the KTM spare Parts finder to see how this has changed.
So in order to change the air filter on a second Gen Duke/RC, you don't need to take off the airbox lid?
Difficult to comprehend if not accompanied by photos.
I will check later when the drawings become available again.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Interesting, I can't (for some reason) get pictures on the KTM spare Parts finder to see how this has changed.
So in order to change the air filter on a second Gen Duke/RC, you don't need to take off the airbox lid?
Difficult to comprehend if not accompanied by photos.
I will check later when the drawings become available again.
Air inlet hits airbox under the filter. Air filter lid sits over the air filter so engine side of filter. Bigger airbox - more air inflow. Airbox lid filter allows enough extra airflow that you need to upgrade the injector to benefit from any extra airflow eg from air filter according to Grey Area KTM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts