KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had my akrapovic exhaust delivered by mail order so was unable to get the remap by a ktm dealer that comes included in the price of the exhaust.

Has anybody else had there bike flashed with this remap after fitting the exhaust and what did you think?

The dealer told me that there will be no power gain with just the pipe and that the remap is needed in order to extract the extra 5hp they promise.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me the remap was done after changing to k&n else you need to remap again once you install a new filter. The best gain would be exhaust and filter,then remap to get full hp out of it. I did not do any dyno, but remap helps with the air fuel ratio.Initially mine was like jerking as easily stalled.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine is in for the remap 2nd June. Might get the K&N filter fitted just to make sure of max gains. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
remapping is always the best thing to at least from what I have seen, i have yet to go through this process though, still great to become informed before i do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can these remaps be done in the u.k by ktm dealers.I have 200 Duke.
I looking to get a filter to go with the Akrapovic I have.
Is this a remap that raises the RPM limiter?

·
Banned
79 Posts
can these remaps be done in the u.k by ktm dealers.i have 200 duke.
I looking to get a filter to go with the akrapovic i have.
Is this a remap that raises the rpm limiter?
:mad:man we are the only messed up country who dont have akras availability here !!! Ultimate sadness man !!!:rolleyes::(

·
Registered
817 Posts
Can these remaps be done in the u.k by ktm dealers.I have 200 Duke.
I looking to get a filter to go with the Akrapovic I have.
Is this a remap that raises the RPM limiter?
KTM will do the map mate, it wont raise the computers rev limit as the ceiling is the ceiling. You can change your rev limiter via the display screen, check your manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read your comments today and been on the phone to my local dealer, and they're telling me there isn't a map that can be done at the dealership, they leave the bike on Idle for 15mins after the exhaust swap and variations in the mapping of the bike means it can cope with it. Is my dealer full of s**t or not??

·
Registered
817 Posts
No their not, a 15 min idle reset will tell the ecu the things it needs to adjust to suit the new changes. A remap focuses on the fueling and ignition changes to get the most out of the change.
If they dont have a map then Akra or KTM may have not done one and people are being charged to have their bike idled.....or your dealer isnt up to date?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We'll guys, today I spent the best part of 5 hours at my local dealership whilst my bike was being serviced ogling over new ktms and chatting to both the sales guys and the tech guys. I watched them carry out the service on the bike and then upload a map to trikes ECU which cost me £45 (extra on top of service fee). There is a number of different maps available on the ktm system for the 390 duke (exactly how many I'm not sure as I forgot to ask). Apparently these maps are being updated and improved upon on a daily basis hence the reason why there is so many. The technician working on my bike first of all selected the first map from a list which was down as being the most recent. He uploaded it to the bikes ECU and that let the bike idle for 15 minutes, this process is a must to initialize the new map so I'm told. Anyway, put the bike back together and off I went. Two miles down the road the bike started misfiring under heavy load but was ok once in the higher rev ranges. I turned the bike around and took it back to the dealer and explained to him the fault. He then connected up the clever looking ktm branded touchscreen tablet type thingy back up to the bike and chose the second map in the list. Apparently this one has been developed by ktm and akrapovic together (I witnessed this with my own eyes I must stress). It was at this point that the techy explained there are loads of maps and not all bikes will like all maps, he then went on to explain its a bit of a case of trial and error. He then told me than had my bike had an aftermarket air filter, the first map would've probably been ok. Anyway, he uploaded the second map, done the initialisation and off I went again.

Now...

The bike is a lot more torquey that is defininite. The bike will now power wheelie in first no problem whatsoever. Also, whereas before I may have have needed to shift down to third at 40 for a swift overtake, it will now pull very well in 4th. I'm not really one for the "it's like a different bike malarkey" but the map that has been uploaded to my bike feels much much better. Another very interesting thing is that the running temperature of the bike is now much cooler. Sitting at 60mph the bike used to read one bar above halfway. It now sits one bar below. Also, sat at 40 in 40th the bike would be at halfway, now it sits at 2 bars.

In regards to the dealers not saying/knowing about these maps being available...

I spoke to 4 dealers about these maps, the first told me there was no such thing. So I phoned a second. This dealer was adamant there was and told me how he had re-mapped a customers 390 just the day before with one of the maps available on the KTM system. He also told me that it had responded well to the remap and the customer was very happy. I then spoke to a third dealer as they were more local to me. They again told me they'd never heard of it and were unsure of the reason why ktm listed on they're website that the akrapovic exhaust comes with a remap included in the price. I then spoke to a fourth dealer who said they knew about the remaps. This as the dealer I visited today and had it done at.

I'm very happy with my bike now. I wish it had been like this out of the box.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've read your comments today and been on the phone to my local dealer, and they're telling me there isn't a map that can be done at the dealership, they leave the bike on Idle for 15mins after the exhaust swap and variations in the mapping of the bike means it can cope with it. Is my dealer full of s**t or not??

Are you in the uk? If so whereabouts? I know that AMS ktm Tewkesbury will do it as will gear 4 ktm in Peterborough so will Wayne mounter ktm colwyn bay wales.

As far as I see it, that covers most corners of the uk and would be worth travelling to to have it done. If for nothing else, the cooler running temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers for the replies guys, yeah I'm in the uk near Birmingham in the midlands. The exhaust im getting is an akrapovic but not the standard one so the ktm map is a no go I think, but I've also just found out my friends dad owns a dynojet dealership ?. I'm in the process of making it now as it didn't like the others and zard let me down on a custom one. It's using the yam r6 megaphone can and a custom pipe job, il keep you posted once finished and the dyno runs afterwards. But cheers for the help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheers for the replies guys, yeah I'm in the uk near Birmingham in the midlands. The exhaust im getting is an akrapovic but not the standard one so the ktm map is a no go I think, but I've also just found out my friends dad owns a dynojet dealership ?. I'm in the process of making it now as it didn't like the others and zard let me down on a custom one. It's using the yam r6 megaphone can and a custom pipe job, il keep you posted once finished and the dyno runs afterwards. But cheers for the help
Can you please quote pic of your bike with r6 magphone?
Is it very loud?
Are you happy with the sound it makes on cold starts?

·
Registered
573 Posts
ahem ... anyone interested in my hoonigan theory ? i done top speed at 182 before and i bet 190 is not a problem .... but then again .. are ready for that speed on this little orange skeleton ???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mostin3 " I wish it had been like this out of the box." SO TRUE!
5hrs @Fowlers, in Bristol, to transform my "Big Boys Toy" into a "Pocket Rocket"! and all free of charge.
MUCK FE!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mostin3 " I wish it had been like this out of the box." SO TRUE!
5hrs @Fowlers, in Bristol, to transform my "Big Boys Toy" into a "Pocket Rocket"! and all free of charge.
MUCK FE!!!
Do you feel as though it made much difference?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts