KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Anyone else have the following issue ? I get an annoying vibe/humming noise around 5,000 rpm ish when rolling throttle open/closed. Notice it in all gears and on my ride this morning I checked and it was at approx 95kmh in 5th gear. Sounds like it's coming from the front left hand side somewhere BUT the thing is it only happens when the fuel tank is approx 3/4 full or less. On a full tank it's not there at all. So after every fill up she's all sweet for a while then it comes back again. Any suggestions ? Cheers - Rob

·
Registered
817 Posts
Id look at wiring connections, I had the same sound a week ago while I was getting pics of the Lambda Connector. I didnt tie it back up straight away but stopped when I fixed it. If its doing it when the tank is emptying Id look at areas between the tank and the frame. May need to pull the shroud off for easy access, easy job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a few vibrating type noises from under the fuel tank area so when my bike went in for its first service I told the guys and they wrapped all the wires in that fabric like insulation tape.
It looks WAY neater from the side now as you barely see any wires and 80% of the rattles have gone away.

·
Registered
520 Posts
going to be hard to pinpoint that.. best you could do is try to see which area its coming from

take apart everything in that area and reinstall it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
have you tried taking it back to the dealer? i would try that before anything, if they can't do anything then maybe i would try taking matters into my own hands

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Annoying rattling sound coming from the Tank area has been resolved.

I have tried to locate the source of the sound in all possible ways.

Head light assembly
Fuel Cap
Overflow Pipe
Tank itself
Belly Pan.

At SVC, we removed the belly pan and observed that there was no rattle. The reason was because of bent bracket that was connected to belly pan. It was bent probably because of unusually build speed breaker at my home, which hit the belly pan when I went over it.

Bracket was adjusted and bike has become rattle free.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Hi All,
Anyone else have the following issue ? I get an annoying vibe/humming noise around 5,000 rpm ish when rolling throttle open/closed. Notice it in all gears and on my ride this morning I checked and it was at approx 95kmh in 5th gear. Sounds like it's coming from the front left hand side somewhere BUT the thing is it only happens when the fuel tank is approx 3/4 full or less. On a full tank it's not there at all. So after every fill up she's all sweet for a while then it comes back again. Any suggestions ? Cheers - Rob
Check the fuel tank keyhole lid. Sometimes it doesnt seal completely and cause a whirring noise at some speeds. My friend's bike had this issue.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Also behind the headlight, theres a blue and red plug that isnt connected to anything. If you dont pack it all tight back into the shrouds it will vibrate worse than a smart phone on glass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've tried adding gum to certain parts of the tank to dampen the vibrates but that didn't work. It's also not the fuel cap because I tried to push on it to test if the sound would go away but it's still there.

There must be a loose part somewhere inside that is causing this sound but I can't find it.

Going to have my bike serviced tomorrow so I'll forward any results on this issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a rattle from the dashboard/handlebar/headlamp area but I can't track it down, I've tried holding/pressing various places as it happens but nothing makes any difference.

Also had the headlamp off and taped up the loose connectors inside but that made no difference.

Doesn't do it when I'm thrashing the bike though so...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi All,
I have exactly the same problem. I have a feeling it is the fuel overflow pipe vibrating against the tank shroud, or the tank. So when there is fuel, the noise is dampened and when the tank is empty, the noise is loud. I will dismantle the shroud and check. Will keep all posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just noticed the same "rattle" in the last few days. I thought maybe it was the factory windscreen, if you want to call it that. But I couldn't get the noise to go away by pulling or pushing on it. The over flow pipe is a good thought, though. Let us known!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I removed the tank shroud (easy, but not that easy :)) and wrapped the fuel overflow pipe with thin felt and put everything back. Lo and behold! Problem solved. Empty or full, there is now no irritating vibration/rattle from the tank area! My bike is a Dec 2013 model, so I am not sure whether this problem applies to later models - so do what is applicable to your bike. Ride safe!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I removed the tank shroud (easy, but not that easy :)) and wrapped the fuel overflow pipe with thin felt and put everything back. Lo and behold! Problem solved. Empty or full, there is now no irritating vibration/rattle from the tank area! My bike is a Dec 2013 model, so I am not sure whether this problem applies to later models - so do what is applicable to your bike. Ride safe!!!!
Nice work! I love it when people feel confident enough to dig into their bikes and solve problems themselves.

Reactions: Sid

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Front lower cowl on my USA 2015 390 rattles (HARD) during 4,000-5,000 RPM. Dealer could not fix it. Offered to replace it under warranty, will see how it sounds at the first service.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
On the left lower front extremity of the tank cover there is an s-shaped plastic insert designed, I think, to hold the gas (petrol) overflow drain tube in place. This thing has come loose a couple of times when I have taken off the cover, and I had to squeeze it back in. If it weren't well secured, I suspect this thing could rattle or buzz, especially when gas in the tank reaches a certain level that sets up a sympathetic vibration resonance. Worth checking if you have an intermittent buzz.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts