KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi kids,

I have another question about the forks on the Duke. I bought used fork from a dealer to replace the one I have with scratched stanchion tube. When I pulled the fork apart to drain the fluid for a refill with the same fluid to be used in both and found that the internals in each was completely different. Even the outer tube is machined differently.

I looked for the difference in part numbers from the 2015 and 2017 models and found that the part nuber for a complet fork is the same, but the numbers for the replacement stanchion is different. The forks on the bike are what I normally associate with cartridge forks(fork on the bottom of the pic). The one that I was sent, has some type of internal spring that is not present without removing the stanchion from the Upper tube(fork in the middle). Does anyone know the differences? Were forks changed at some point? What the deal????
KTM Fork.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Forks were changed between the old generation and the new one. 2017 and onward got cartridge forks, older ones had damping rod internals.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Forks were changed between the old generation and the new one. 2017 and onward got cartridge forks, older ones had damping rod internals.
Incorrect. Gen 1 have closed cartridge forks and Gen 2 have open cartridge forks.

Here are my Gen 1 internals. Aftermarket springs and YSS fork caps shown also.

The difference with the closed cartridge forks is that the springs sit down the bottom of the fork underneath the cartridge and are held within the stanchion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it. This is very helpful. Thanks, this was my suspicion. The more forks that I see for sale on Ebay, the more I see markings on the lower axle holder that corresponds with what appears to be the date of manufacture - either a ** ** 15, or ** ** 17.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Be aware with eBay that the 125 forks have a different serial number at the bottom but some sellers dont make it clear what they are off with some assuming that they are the same. No idea what the actual difference between 125 and 390 forks really is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts