KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope all of you doing great gentlemen.

I got my Duke 390 on Jan 13, 2014 and have done about 4200kms. Work and reside in Bangalore, India.
Just one long ride of around 1000kms last month. It runs great but does have few niggles. I also happen to own a Royal Enfield Machismo 500 and the KTM is such a fantastic contrast!
This bike has given some serious joy for me and all the time am on it, rest is forgotten :p

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the welcome. This is a great place.

@Heizenberg : I have posted my ownership thread and will be updating it with the bike's health periodically.
As of today, the issues which I found in mine and a friend are:
- Chain slapping against the underside of the swingarm. Annoying noise everytime the road is irregular spots.
- False neutrals. This is not a regular occurance but does happen randomly and whenver this occurs the speedo shows the speed as 0 despite being on the move.
- Oil seepage on the cylinder head gasket seem. Doesnt run down but I see smears.
The gasket was changed but everytime I do a hard, high speed run say for an hour, the leak is back.
Again, some leakage around the oil filter cover and the engine oil drain nut(this is now fixed).
- Oh yes, the monoshock went bust at around 2000kms and started leaking. Got a warranty replacement.
- Vibration in the plastic panels. Cant really do anything about this i think?
Perhaps few rubber grommets can be tried.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome to the forum ... ow you sure have 1 full hands of problem.
I had the same chan slapping issue ... tune it too tight ... it will slaken the chain too fast ..
tune it too soft ... i can hear chain whipping the rear swingarm underside ....

i had some leak on the cylinder too .. but after a few runs .. it stop leaking and after a few wash ... the leak seems to stop ... funny though ...

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum Sid, newbie here too.Namaste-raj
Hello Raj. Thanks for the wishes :)
Wish you happy miles on the duke too!

Welcome to the forum ... ow you sure have 1 full hands of problem.
I had the same chan slapping issue ... tune it too tight ... it will slaken the chain too fast ..
tune it too soft ... i can hear chain whipping the rear swingarm underside ....

i had some leak on the cylinder too .. but after a few runs .. it stop leaking and after a few wash ... the leak seems to stop ... funny though ...
Sorry Phil, one **** of a week in progress - dad's hospitalized and just came back home.
Thanks for the wishes. I do have some issues but frankly it looks like not-major ones. The chain - let me see if I can precisely tighten it and get a slap-free ride. But the leak on the cylinder kind of bothers me. Will be visiting the service center this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Raj. Thanks for the wishes :)
Wish you happy miles on the duke too!
I don't own a KTM........ yet. I am actually waiting for the Adventure 390 to be released here in the philippines (no idea when or if it will even happen).
Has the adv 390 been released there? Stay safe ;)

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah I see. No news of the Adventure 390 here mate. I would go for it the moment it is launched ;) Will keep you posted in case I get any grapevine. I think the current focus is on the RC series and nothing else as of now - let me try finding that link where I read about this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah I see. No news of the Adventure 390 here mate. I would go for it the moment it is launched ;) Will keep you posted in case I get any grapevine. I think the current focus is on the RC series and nothing else as of now - let me try finding that link where I read about this.
Thanks Sid. Darn it, just read it on another forum that it will be released December 2015 in India that means if ever it'll get here maybe mid 2016's. Sheesh! Ride safe.

·
Registered
817 Posts
My shop says November 2014 for Aus arrival. June is supposed to be the actual release date just like the Dukes.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Other word running around here is that the RCs would be released exactly one year from the Duke's launch - September 2013 was when the public got the deliveries here in India. So November sounds about right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts