KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this exhaust gunk today, I accidentally ran over the 7000rpm limit passing on the way to work. Wondering if this is a normal part of the break in or if my Duke is running a little more lean than usual and melting things?
anyone have any insight?

ACCED873-C8C1-4506-A2E4-3679C713971C.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is definitely NOT normal :oops:

You mention the break-in period, so I'm assuming this bike is new & still under warranty? I would be heading straight back to the dealership so they can sort out whatever the heck that is...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is definitely NOT normal :oops:

You mention the break-in period, so I'm assuming this bike is new & still under warranty? I would be heading straight back to the dealership so they can sort out whatever the heck that is...
Thanks Qball ! 😂 I’ve never seen this on any other engine so I figured as much. I’ll probably be parking it until I can take time off work for the drive to the dealer… The unfortunate by product of being 7 hours from the city 😂
It is a 2019 model that was left over for a few years so It’s brand new while also being old. But again, straight to the dealer!
Cheers!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Before you take that 7 hour trip maybe send those pictures to your dealer and ask them about it.

I also never saw this but I wonder if maybe someone left some plastic wrap somewhere in the exhaust and that got hot and now it gets out. Not good, but that wouldn't really be a problem.
That is just a possibility, I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you take that 7 hour trip maybe send those pictures to your dealer and ask them about it.

I also never saw this but I wonder if maybe someone left some plastic wrap somewhere in the exhaust and that got hot and now it gets out. Not good, but that wouldn't really be a problem.
That is just a possibility, I don't know what it is.
I actually sent them around to a couple dealerships, although I do have to do that trip in the next few weeks anyway for work so that worked out! I’m going to take the header pipe off to make sure it’s not actually anything weird coming out of the engine (doubt it) but I was told there could have been a plug in the exhaust if it was stored outside that may have broken off. So best case a piece of plastic that melted and blew out when I finally revved it up for the first time over 7000rpm.
Cheers!

·
Registered
700 Posts
There isn’t anything plastic in the exhaust system so yes, I go with something falling into it being pushed into the slip on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There isn’t anything plastic in the exhaust system so yes, I go with something falling into it being pushed into the slip on.
Thanks Mirius! I agree, did about 600 highway KMs yesterday between 90 and 110km/h so it was good and hot, nothing else came out, just that one plug of melted stuff!
Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts