KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2021 Duke 390 Silver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do 2000 Km per month and I work from home, so I really like riding in my spare time. On rides around 400Km up to my longest in a day at 622 km my knees really bug me and recall thinking so that's what Harleys have forward pegs for and visualized installing some pegs for the straighter roads I take getting to the twisty roads northeast of Toronto. I've seen some people put cages on their super dukes with universal pegs mounted to them up front and suspect that's my best bet but looking for ideas and ideally someone that's done this that can provide part numbers to order.

Plant Wheel Sky Land vehicle Tire

· Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2022 and will do a simple mod to the front with some highway pegs not attached in the traditional way. Some people have attached crash guards along with clip-on highway pegs. I think that drastically changes the overall look of the bike which is not what im going for.

When Im done ill take pics providing I approve of it.

· Registered
48 Posts
I've got the KTM PowerParts engine bars (90212968244C1) and can rest the heels of my boots on the short front/horizontal bars. It's not ideal, but it definitely helps stretch the legs out after being on the bike for longer periods. Really, any change in hip/knee angle feels great after a while...

I'm sure I could attach some highway pegs to the cage, but I just haven't felt the need to (yet).

Bicycle part Auto part Musical instrument accessory Bicycle accessory Event

· Registered
44 Posts
Yep that's exactly what's done. I just find that as unnecessary girth to this bike. Also lots of pegs that clamp onto the bar aren't firmly attached to the bar and they will move out of place marring the paint of the bar. However the pegs that do attach firmly that stay in place will still damage the paint on the bar.since it needs to firmly tighten. Not ideal to me.

· Registered
Duke 200
22 Posts
I have the same engine cage on my bike that QBall has. I mounted these pegs on the lower part of the upright bar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GNKL9TX

There's no way I would trust these pegs to support my body weight, but they will support the weight of my feet and calves. They tuck out of the way when not in use and you would need to squint to see that they're there when in the up position. I used electrical tape wound around the cage in order to provide a more positive fit for the peg's clamps. They aren't moving at all.

I hardly use them, but they are very welcome after I've been in the saddle for an hour or more.

· Registered
2021 Duke 390 Silver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same engine cage on my bike that QBall has. I mounted these pegs on the lower part of the upright bar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GNKL9TX

There's no way I would trust these pegs to support my body weight, but they will support the weight of my feet and calves. They tuck out of the way when not in use and you would need to squint to see that they're there when in the up position. I used electrical tape wound around the cage in order to provide a more positive fit for the peg's clamps. They aren't moving at all.

I hardly use them, but they are very welcome after I've been in the saddle for an hour or more.
Awesome, thank you!

· Registered
2021 Duke 390 Silver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Do you have any pics you can share?
Thanks again 👍

· Registered
2019 Duke 390
143 Posts
To the OP, looks like Nelson tail bag, or at least it looks a lot like mine. Nice nostalgic shot there.
Same sentiment on long rides. Last year I ended up doing 3-hour rides, one-way, hiking the Adirondack fire towers. And wishing for said foot pegs. Sorry, no suggestions here, but I’ll be interested to see how you solve this.

· Registered
44 Posts
If looks are important, you're not gonna like this. Here are some photos of the right side.love that orange peel on the frame. People don't buy KTMs for the looks, obviously.
The placement of the front pegs in your pic on the cage is not that distant from the stock pegs. I am altering mine where there is a fair distance where it feels far more relaxed. I also don't want it to change the look of the bike so it will require you to unfold the peg when you want to use it.

· Registered
2021 Duke 390 Silver
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The placement of the front pegs in your pic on the cage is not that distant from the stock pegs. I am altering mine where there is a fair distance where it feels far more relaxed. I also don't want it to change the look of the bike so it will require you to unfold the peg when you want to use it.
This foot position would be nice but not sure it's possible.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
Duke 200
22 Posts
The placement of the front pegs in your pic on the cage is not that distant from the stock pegs.
That is true, but even that 12 inches makes a big difference when your knees are complaining. If I'm wearing full calf boots, I can rest the backs of my calves on the pegs, though that is certainly not the safest riding position.

I put the pegs on as an afterthought. I agree that the cage is ugly. I sometimes use the little Duke as a teaching bike, which is one of the reasons I bought it. It's got a very forgiving clutch and excellent brakes. Having the cage gives me a little peace of mind since I'm expecting my students (sons-in-law) to tip over from time to time. Adding the pegs to the cage was a reaction to a moment when I'd been on the bike for an hour and thought, gosh, I bet it would be easy to bolt on some pegs to the crash bar. It was.

I am altering mine where there is a fair distance where it feels far more relaxed. I also don't want it to change the look of the bike so it will require you to unfold the peg when you want to use it.
I really hope you post some photos when you're done. Sounds like a cool project!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts