KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get access to the main forum so I can post about my experience with the stalling issue. I'm familiar with it due to my last bike (KTM 690 Supermoto), I know what causes it, specifically some emissions trickery in the ECU. It's not any of the things I see you guys talking about on the forum. I have an unique and new idea how to deal it that I would like to discuss.

I wasn't going to buy a '17 Duke 390 (or even any other KTM fuel injected street single) until I was aware of a way around their crappy ECU emissions programming.

All I can access is this new member introduction area though. WTF.

If I have to fart around and make a bunch of posts before I can post anything useful on this forum, screw that. I probably won't be back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its to prevent spamming of the forum. You literally only have to "fart around" 10 or 15 posts, can't remember which. Its as easy as going into the last 10 intro threads and pasting "cool, welcome to the forum" or "jiminy crickets." It might take a whole 3.5 minutes out of your day.

If I have to fart around and make a bunch of posts before I can post anything useful on this forum, screw that. I probably won't be back.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm trying to get access to the main forum so I can post about my experience with the stalling issue. I'm familiar with it due to my last bike (KTM 690 Supermoto), I know what causes it, specifically some emissions trickery in the ECU. It's not any of the things I see you guys talking about on the forum. I have an unique and new idea how to deal it that I would like to discuss.

I wasn't going to buy a '17 Duke 390 (or even any other KTM fuel injected street single) until I was aware of a way around their crappy ECU emissions programming.

All I can access is this new member introduction area though. WTF.

Is the "stalling issue" still an issue? I have the Duke 390 2017 and I stalled it exactly one time in the first almost 1,000km. And I pressed the starter and it was running again a second or two later. As far as I am concerned that "stalling issue" does not exist for the newer model.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Stalled twice at traffics lights, a bit embarrassing. I had been driving like a granny.

Since then i ride it hard and it has never done it again.

I have no idea if this is something that can be truly measured but I find my bike likes to rev hard and I believe this is how these bikes are designed to be ridden. I could be completely wrong, but it works for me.

Any time i use the bike teach other riders and i potter around at low speeds I get the feeling I am shackling the bike. When I have finished my lesson its all in the red and the bike loves it.

My bike has 3500 miles on it now and its next service, the first after the initial service, is on August 1st. I hope to have the screen replaced under warranty as it has moisture in it. I had reported to me dealer that some of the screws holding the handle bar controls on had rusted so I will be getting them replaced.

I am on my second set of tyres. Replaced with the same tyre.

Went a little off topic there however, if there is a solution for stalling it has been my experience to ride hard and rev up to the red line if you can..

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 17 bike does it regularly. Specifically when you approach a junction and change into first, the bike stalls when the clutch is pulled in. Its like it doesn't want to idle.
Generally it's ok the rest of the time, apart from the lean fuelling. After its had its first service I'm going to fit an RB ecu.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2017 did this all the time especially if it was hot outside 90+F degrees. It would stall usually at every other red light when i would clutch in to come to a stop ...if i revved it up in neutral above the idle point as i was clutching in it would prevent this. I fitted a Rapid Bike EVO about 3 weeks ago and haven't had any stalling issues since and the bike run so much smoother in lower RPMs. It definitely the stock ecu closed loop settings that is leaning the bike out to hit target fuel and emissions standards from factory to comply with EURO4 standards i guess....

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 17 bike does it regularly. Specifically when you approach a junction and change into first, the bike stalls when the clutch is pulled in. Its like it doesn't want to idle.
Generally it's ok the rest of the time, apart from the lean fuelling. After its had its first service I'm going to fit an RB ecu.
Do you ride it easy all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Fitted my Rapid bike easy a couple of days ago, what a difference! When you shut the throttle off, it's like it lets a tiny bit of fuel still into the engine to stop the hideous engine braking, in 1st and 2nd gear it's a different bike. Just wondering if it will start to use more fuel, to be honest I don't care if it does. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fitted my Rapid bike easy a couple of days ago, what a difference! When you shut the throttle off, it's like it lets a tiny bit of fuel still into the engine to stop the hideous engine braking, in 1st and 2nd gear it's a different bike. Just wondering if it will start to use more fuel, to be honest I don't care if it does. :D
I've bought a rapid bike evo, which I'll fit after it's first service.

I've got several other problems: the red alarm led on the dash flickers when I'm riding (I've now removed the alarm to see if that is causing issues), the oil pressure warning light comes on intermittently and the front end feels a bit vague like the tyre is under inflated.

The stalling issue is the most annoying though. All my other bikes have carbs, so this isn't the greatest introduction to fuel injection for me...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts