KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is currently at the KTM dealer. They told me the battery is the problem but I am not so sure.

Please tell me what you think about this situation:

• My 2017 Duke 390 is 3 years old, not even 15.000km total.
  • Until recently I had never problems with the bike or the battery. The bike always started instantly.
  • A few days ago I rode my bike for a few km. Then I stopped it and 10 minutes later I wanted to start it again. It sounded like the starter motor was running but not turning the engine. The TFT display was normal and the light seemed to be normal.
  • I asked others to push my bike and it started but was off again within seconds.
  • Because I couldn't start the bike anymore I called a guy who transported the bike to KTM. That was in the evening.
  • The next day I called them and the technicians told me the battery is low. They will charge it and look if the bike works then. They also asked me if they should do the service which had to be done soon. I agreed to the service and was ready to pick up the bike two days later.
  • When I picked up the bike all seemed to be ok. I started the bike and rode about 1km and then I stopped at a gasoline station. A minute later I couldn't start the bike anymore. Same symptoms like before. Additionally it showed on the TFT display "ECU failure" and later "ABS failure". Then I looked at the battery voltage in the TFT display. First it showed 11.9V and within 5 minutes it was down to 10.5V.
  • I called the service guys again and they have the bike now in their service center.

Here are my ideas/questions.
  • If I need a new battery then I need a new one, no problem. But I am not convinced that is the real problem.
  • Obviously I want to rely on the bike and don't have the same problem again - even with a new battery.
  • I wonder if messages like "ECU failure" and "ABS failure" would show if the battery is low. Is that normal?
  • I think there might be a short circuit somewhere which drains the battery fast. I.e. a problem in the starter motor or a short circuit somewhere else.

My questions:
  • If you had to replace your battery, what were the symptoms? Like above?
  • Did anybody have a similar problem with the starter motor? What was the problem?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Hi Ede,

Never had your problem but seeing that the battery loses charge or perhaps is not charged while on the move sounds familiar.
I have replaced my stator (you can obviously measure it first) as some coils were burned.
Also, I have renewed my starter solenoid as at a certain point it was only ticking but did not send power through to the starter motor.
A lot of failures are contributed to the battery on our bikes and in the tropics, after 3 years (no matter the # of km ridden) it is time to replace it with a new one.
On both my Duke's I now run Lithium-Ion and happy with these, W-Standard (12VA) and a Magneti Marelli (9VA)
I have no experience with the second-Gen display.
Good luck and I would be interested in the service from Vroom.
The spare parts division seems much improved over Burn Rubber, even keeps me informed by email, chapeau.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little update: Two days ago I picked up my bike from KTM. They changed the battery and now all seems to be fine. So maybe the problem was really only the battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Probably still a good idea to check (measure) the stator values and regulator/rectifier Ede.
Have you parked your bike for much longer than usual when this happened?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably still a good idea to check (measure) the stator values and regulator/rectifier Ede.
Have you parked your bike for much longer than usual when this happened?
It is very seldom that I don't use my bike at least once a day. Normally more than once but mostly short distance trips.

I don't want to mess with my bike when it runs and I don't have a garage, just the bike parking area in a high-rise building. Let's look how it goes. If I have to renew the bike every three years that is ok with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts