KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 390 Duke
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago yesterday I traded in my Duke 390 for a Duke 890R.

The 890 isn't a replacement for the 390, but for a Honda CB650R I sold a little while back.
As much as I loved the 390, I didn't think I'd ride it much once I got the 890.

My original plan was to replace the CB650 with a Triumph Street Triple, and keep the 390, but the Triumph didn't play out.
I don't feel I lost out by not getting the Triumph, the engine in the 890 is fantastic.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
490 Posts
I sold my Duke 390 and bought a really nice GoldWing to go with my R1 and WR250F.
now I can get out of town, in comfort.

Reactions: duke200

·
Registered
205 Posts
A week ago yesterday I traded in my Duke 390 for a Duke 890R.

The 890 isn't a replacement for the 390, but for a Honda CB650R I sold a little while back.
As much as I loved the 390, I didn't think I'd ride it much once I got the 890.

My original plan was to replace the CB650 with a Triumph Street Triple, and keep the 390, but the Triumph didn't play out.
I don't feel I lost out by not getting the Triumph, the engine in the 890 is fantastic.

View attachment 53408

Cheers,

David
How Is the 890 compared to the 390?

·
Registered
840 Posts
A bit faster l would expect.

The 390 Duke is fine for me, once l can get to the limits of its abilities l may consider an upgrade.

However l am probably different to most, in that l ride not to go fast, but just for the pleasure of getting out on the bike. So l just ride at an average speed.
l've never taken the engine on my 390 to the limit in the two years l've owned it.

Maybe l should sell it and buy a 1200 Sportster lol

·
Registered
834 Posts
Maybe the 883? Buy a rigid mount and you’ll never again think that the 390 has any vibration in the handlebars.

My XVS650 is way slower than my 390 and yet it’s often the one I will choose to ride at the weekend. On the other hand the 390 is the only one that hits the Rev limiter.

·
Registered
2020 390 Duke
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How Is the 890 compared to the 390?
The 890 is taller, a little longer and about 35lbs heaver, all of which can be felt when you first hop on it. But I adjusted to the differences pretty quickly and feel just a comfortable on the 890 as I did on the 390.
As befits 3X the power, the clutch has a heavier pull, but feels just as smooth as on the 390.
The seat is marginally more comfortable on the 890, but still sucks. I upgraded to the PowerParts ergo version, it might actually be less comfortable than stock, absolutely not worth the $$$.

The two biggest differences are power and braking, both of which are just phenomenal on the 890. I love this engine.

One huge downside of the 890 is the massive heat coming off the engine, this bike sucks in stop and go traffic.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
50 Posts
A bit faster l would expect.

The 390 Duke is fine for me, once l can get to the limits of its abilities l may consider an upgrade.

However l am probably different to most, in that l ride not to go fast, but just for the pleasure of getting out on the bike. So l just ride at an average speed.
l've never taken the engine on my 390 to the limit in the two years l've owned it.

Same here. I've still yet to wide open throttle it in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have my 390 pinned the whole time. I'm ready for the step up to a bigger bike. It's been a great bike for learning on and incredible in the twisties. I've commuted on it, toured on it and taken it to the track (out-cornered all the bigger bikes, nothing like overtaking a Ducati Streetfighter whilst cornering.... of course they rip past on the straight). I'll be weighing up the 890R, Striple RS and the new even uglier MT09 SP.

·
Registered
2020 390 Duke
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have my 390 pinned the whole time. I'm ready for the step up to a bigger bike. It's been a great bike for learning on and incredible in the twisties. I've commuted on it, toured on it and taken it to the track (out-cornered all the bigger bikes, nothing like overtaking a Ducati Streetfighter whilst cornering.... of course they rip past on the straight). I'll be weighing up the 890R, Striple RS and the new even uglier MT09 SP.
The ability to regularly pin the tach was one of the things I loved about the 390.
I bought the 390 as a companion to a CB650R, as something to zoom around town on. It's so light and flickable, with a useful amount of horsepower for in-town cruising.
But the 390 highlighted everything I disliked about the CB, so the CB had to go.
I thought long and hard on keeping the 390 along with the 890....and kinda regret not keeping it.....oh well......

·
Registered
50 Posts
But the 390 highlighted everything I disliked about the CB, so the CB had to go.
I thought long and hard on keeping the 390 along with the 890....and kinda regret not keeping it.....oh well......
I'm thinking about the cb as my next bike.
What did you dislike about it as compared to the Duke?

·
Registered
2020 390 Duke
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking about the cb as my next bike.
What did you dislike about it as compared to the Duke?
I didn't like how abrupt the throttle was.
I didn't like the lack of feedback in the clutch (though the pull was pretty easy).
I hated how short 1st gear was. Hated.
The engine's got a high redline and you really have to wind it out to get into the meat of the power band.
There's some vibration in the handlebars, but not too bad, but the vibration through the tank was really bad at certain revs.
I preferred the vibration of the single-cylinder 390 over the inline-4 of the CB.
I had lots of missed up shifts going from 2nd to 3rd. You'd think you were in 3rd until you released the clutch.....

The CB is a little heavy compared to other bikes in its class. (Not something that really bugged me, but a fact.)

On the plus side, finding neutral was pretty easy, and the gearbox handles power-shifting like butter. The bike looks pretty good. The brakes on the CB surpassed those of the 390. The dash on the 390 is much nicer, but I was happy enough with the CB dash.

I had way more fun with the 40hp pumped out by the 390 than I did from the 90hp of the CB.

I cannot recommend the 2021 CB650R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts