KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Balancing wheels

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RRocket 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Long time no talk!!

I just got my bike back from the mechanics today after having its 7500km service and whilst I was at it I decided to get them to powder coat my wheels. The only thing is, on the ride home things felt a little uneasy. Possibly due to the fact that I haven't ridden in over two weeks, but then I realised that they had not attached my new foot pegs that I gave them to do whilst everything else was being done to the bike (I had the rearsets powder coated too - hence why I didn't just put the foot pegs on myself and they were being used for colour matching purposes at the powder coaters).

Anyways, then I got to thinking - if they forgot to do this, perhaps they forgot to balance my wheels too. So I go and check my bike and there are no wheel weights present anywhere. Thus, my question is to you guys as I am a noob when it comes to these things - will balanced motorcycle wheels ALWAYS have wheel weights? Or is it possible/common for wheels to be perfectly balanced WITHOUT wheel weights? As, if it is always the case that wheel weights be used, then I know for sure that they have not balanced my wheels. Just thought I should shoot the question out there in case anyone else has the same question!

Cheers all!

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
I've fitted quite a few tyres for myself and others and found that some tyre and wheel combinations can indeed get away without using weights to achieve balance . I use a static balancer and have found it very reliable . I once asked a tyre fitter at a race meeting which system worked best and he stated that he always used a static system as opposed to dynamic .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.