KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just stumbled onto this : Basic comparison of the 2016 vs 2017 Duke 390 model . It's mainly cosmetic after all .. doubt that the 2NM torque increase will erase the 10Kg weight increase
Agreed that on paper it doesn't look good, as that's a roughly 7% weight increase, but only a bit over a 5% torque increase. However, soon as you add in a rider and fuel the weight increase will be nearer 4%, so that might be a fractional win for the torque on the new 'un (when stock) ;)

Interesting that the new power peak is 500rpm lower at 9000. It seems to me that both from the new styling , new equipment, increased seat and ride heights and the engine charactersitics, the new bike is a bit less toy - like and a bit more grown up.

As I'm only 47, I'm not ready to grow up yet, so quite happy with my 390 "toy edition" :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alan ... I have an extra 5 years on the clock than you ... have I ever given the impression to be more grown up ? Trust me .. age has nothing to do with it . I understand that the only difference between a kid and an adult is ... the price of their toys .

Torque difference at lower revs will probably be due to a remap permitted by the new exhaust they are now using .

·
Registered
609 Posts
Alan ... I have an extra 5 years on the clock than you ... have I ever given the impression to be more grown up ? Trust me .. age has nothing to do with it . I understand that the only difference between a kid and an adult is ... the price of their toys .

Torque difference at lower revs will probably be due to a remap permitted by the new exhaust they are now using .
True words, Tri. I do have a tiny bit more restraint these days, as my expectations match my abilities better now.

The 2017's specs sound a lot like our current setup. The fueler, airbox lid, and Suono should get ours pretty close to that. Plus we already own it...

·
Registered
375 Posts
The tank size and DBW would be a good plus if it could make it smoother. The leds Head light would be nice in function but the style is something different... Digital panel is the same so it has a good features but a poor design. That´s all folks would say a wise cartoon :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a couple of improvements that perhaps could be " retro fitted " at some stage . We will have to wait that such parts will come available on Fleabay or breakers yards as getting them from KTM could proof to be a bit too expensive for what they really improve .

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I wonder whether the current underbody/mass centralized exhaust cannister will be available as an aftermarket item or a replacement part. If I were to buy a 2017 Duke, one of the very first mods I would make is to get rid of that huge, ugly, side-mounted 2017 exhaust. Really a step backwards.

Otherwise, the 2017 seems to incorporate several useful improvements, none earthshaking. The larger fuel tank is definitely a step in the right direction, as is the larger front rotor. One missed opportunity is that KTM seems to have kept the same forgettable rear shock, an item that could definitely use an upgrade. Overall, in the evolution from 2016 to 2017, it's essentially the same bike, with minor cosmetic and functional changes. The styling is even more futuristic and aggressive. It's our familiar little Duke, tweaked.

Reactions: bofred and G19Tony

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking to get my hands on a new 2017 when they reach us over here in Canada, I'm not expecting anything too drastic, in terms of changes.

I'm really just hoping what they've done is addressed a lot of the issues that many of you have posted about and found work-arounds, or other solutions for here in the forum, e.g. the jerkiness at low RPMs hopefully addressed by new stock mapping (minute torque increase too, YAY!) and the ride-by-wire system, the spongy front brake with a bigger 320mm rotor, a much better tach and display with bluetooth connectivity etc.

On top of that I absolutely LOVE the new styling, IMHO its truly reminiscent of the bigger Superduke, and looks much more aggressive. That being said, Diploman, I certianly do agree that the side-mounted exhaust is quite ugly and I wish they'd just improved the underbody exhaust that come stock on the previous gen.

·
Registered
142 Posts
to make those parts black i only bought a can with the ktm black. for the passengerfootholder i used plastidip in black...cost 30€....a thew minutes to paint and i like it :)
That's honestly one of the best looks for the duke! I was considering plasti-dipping the white rear-subframe on the 2017 black when I get it, but now that I've seen this I might have to actually just paint it, that looks so good!

Where did you get the paint Vienna390? And did you remove the rear monoshock to paint it?

·
Registered
675 Posts
to make those parts black i only bought a can with the ktm black. for the passengerfootholder i used plastidip in black...cost 30€....a thew minutes to paint and i like it :)
My neighbor's a powder coater so I can get it done cheap and it will last a lot longer than spray paint on high wear areas like the foot controls. The main reason I want the new foot controls is because they look different/lighter.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Made in India, after all...

If those parts are as inexpensive as my new front wheel was, new ones might be a lot cheaper than you think. I often see used parts on fleabay where the seller is asking more than OEM!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If those parts are as inexpensive as my new front wheel was, new ones might be a lot cheaper than you think. I often see used parts on fleabay where the seller is asking more than OEM!

You are right, new oem parts are way cheaper than used ones on ebay, I got my rc front fender from the dealer for $29 on ebay they were asking $56

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Seat on the 2017 appears to be a total redesign to mate with the new tank. I wonder if they still use plywood instead of foam under the skin? ;-) For me, at least, that stock saddle was absolutely the first thing I KNEW I was going to change. Decided that during the test ride!
Seriously, it appears that the new saddle possibly would spread support over a broader area. Needs seat of the pants evaluation, though, for sure.

I'm with Will on the new exhaust being a downside issue, though not so much for cosmetics, but rather if you had a "oopsie" that can would be toast. Expensive toast. I like the belly muffler on on the current model just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts