KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a valve adjust last weekend (had to replace one each exhaust and intake shim) then installed the Bazzaz unit I've had sitting on the shelf since last summer. Everything is reconnected though I left the cooling system empty since I didn't want to drain it again if I had to take it all back apart. Bike will not start. Ignition comes on, and the engine will turn over several times and will almost fire but then it will fart and the display goes blank, then shows JB.1.7.7. After a few seconds the display illuminates again and I can try to fire it up again but the same thing happens. I did email @MNNTBX but it was late yesterday so I don't expect an answer until tomorrow.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not unplugged the Bazzaz, figured before I went through resorting the wiring harness I would check here to see if this sounded like more of a valve adjust issue, maybe I put the cams back in a 1/2 tooth off or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have not unplugged the Bazzaz, figured before I went through resorting the wiring harness I would check here to see if this sounded like more of a valve adjust issue, maybe I put the cams back in a 1/2 tooth off or something.
I'd assume it's something you did during valve adjust.

All the same, you need to exclude the Bazzazz at this point.

Then you'll know a little more precisely what the issue is.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charging the battery made no difference, and neither did removing the Bazzaz. I pulled the plug out and the engine spins easily so if the cams are off TDC its not by much since its not hitting a valve. Looks like I'm pulling it back apart again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well charging the battery didn't make a difference, nor did removing the Bazzaz harness. I pulled the spark plug and the engine turns over and doesn't hang up on a valve so if I didn't get the cams on TDC I didn't miss it by much. Looks like I'm going back in, but I was working on my RV most of the weekend and didn't have much time to give to the Duke so that'll have to wait a little bit longer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took the Bazzaz out of the harness, charged the battery and it still wouldn’t start. Opened up the top end and yes the intake cam was off one tooth. Corrected that, put it all back together, including reconnecting the Bazzaz and it will now start but not hold idle unless I keep it at 1/4 throttle. It revs fine. I plugged it in to my laptop and connected via the app and, well I had hoped that it would be more self-evident. Any idea what is up? I double checked my connections and nothing is plugged in upside down, the face of the Bazzaz lights up (which I didn’t anticipate and kind of freaked me out in my garage once the sun went down) and once again I emailed MMNTHBX to gather their input. I also still have the “crossover” plug installed.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bazzaz & Valve Adjust Problem

I still think you should be troubleshooting one thing at a time. Get the bike running reliably in stock configuration before adding in potential software issues from an external device.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, just sucks that the bike is 100 miles away from me during the week, as it is I am living in a hotel room during the week when I could be spending a little time every evening fettling and not spend hours of my precious weekend time trying to diagnose this. Que sera sera.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Revisiting this thread to reveal my own foolishness.
So for all the work and troubleshooting I did, I left out the coolant on the off-chance I had to pull the radiator to get to the front valve again. So on a whim I decided to go ahead and fill the radiator since I was completely out of other ideas and well crud the bike runs great now. In the interim I’ve been riding an old Ironhead Sportster chopped I picked up, but its time to put the Duke back together for the winter riding season.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts