KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't inquired deeply, the dealer used a plural form so I guess it was more than one valve, dunno if inlet our outlet or both. No mention of oil quality or blockage. No mention of any other damage at all, they've reset the valve clearances and gave the bike back, it rides normally. If the problem happens again (still under warranty), they'll be disassembling the engine, but for now they did just what the KTM central told them to.

I wonder if the valve issue may have been a combination of the bike having a fairly low mileage and me running it to high revs to see if Coober indeed bumps the rev limiter up to 11k (it does!). I only bumped off the rev limiter once, so I've been "up there" for a fraction of a second and it was like an hour before the highway run failure, so I don't suspect it was a direct cause.

I think I'll ride with Coober for the reminder of the season, I'm covered by warranty till 2021, and then decide if I feel confident about it being safe. I have a two-day track day planned next weekend, should be a good stress test :)

I've mailed Coober with the description of that valve issue and asked if they have any thoughts on this, awaiting reply.

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
He Big_Mac,

Good to hear no other damage and you are on the road again.
I take it this is a second-gen bike (reading warranty till 2021)?
Perhaps this would have been noticed and addressed if the first service did check the clearances.
I have been up there at the rev-limiter with my PowerTRONIC several times and my first-gen is pretty happy with that.
Let us know how your track day go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's a second gen from 2019 and yes, it'll be on warranty till April next year. It had valve adjustment on the first service and one was too tight.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Another Rapid Bike Easy recommendation from me, transformed the low speed running on my 2018 Duke 390
I had to set mine to “+1” on the fuelling dial due to the “check engine” light appearing.
But the unit still works on that setting.
As already mentioned, far smoother at low RPM, down to 5/10/15 mph in 1/2/3
Without having to use the clutch.
No other difference from what l can tell, the unit doesn’t claim to increase performance

·
Registered
77 Posts
My eyes have seen the glory and it was Coober

Preface this by saying, I'm not that experienced a rider so I'm sure some jerkiness I was feeling was me but man, I installed my Coober ECU today and it completely changes the way the bike drives in 1st and 2nd.

I was having some serious doubts about my bike, especially spending 10hrs on a beat-up Grom 125 I used for my safety class recently. It just wasn't comfortable or easy to ride in 1st and 2nd gear, low-speed stuff. The Coober completely changed that. Other than my occasional error, 90% of the jerk is gone at low RPMs

Side note ....

Tremendous customer service from The Appalachian Offroad Motorcycle Company (AOMC). They split shipped some stuff (Coober, decat, and air box top) after some of my other items were on back order for another month.

They paid for Sunday delivery too! I was shocked when the FedEx man showed up today (Sunday)

IMG_1757.jpg IMG_1759.jpg

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well, l’ve got the RBE and there’s no “occasional errors” and it’s a quarter the price of the Coober.

As l said above, if all you want is to make the bike better at low speed/RPM then the RBE will do the job for £140

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, l’ve got the RBE and there’s no “occasional errors” and it’s a quarter the price of the Coober.

As l said above, if all you want is to make the bike better at low speed/RPM then the RBE will do the job for £140
Its a win/win for both of us then :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Looks like it. Did you tell your insurance? It’s the only problem l had, l declared it to the insurance and the premium went from £85 to £240
So currently l am not using the RBE unit.
I know a lot of people don’t tell their insurance but if you have an accident and the bike is recovered, and they find one of these tuning boxes, they can use it as an excuse not to pay out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like it. Did you tell your insurance? It’s the only problem l had, l declared it to the insurance and the premium went from £85 to £240
So currently l am not using the RBE unit.
I know a lot of people don’t tell their insurance but if you have an accident and the bike is recovered, and they find one of these tuning boxes, they can use it as an excuse not to pay out.

Yeah, I added in about a 3k rider for mods with my insurance. Same thing I did with my Mini Cooper.

I like to tinker with stuff so paying a bit more for insurance is a good trade off for me

·
Registered
688 Posts
Unfortunately triple the premium when there was no performance increase was too much for me.
They classify the RBE as a “power commander” which it isn’t.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Unfortunately triple the premium when there was no performance increase was too much for me.

Oh wow, insurance is really different in the UK. When I added that, my yearly rate went up $7. I pay $98 a year for my motorcycle through Progressive

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always use Mceinsurance in the UK, I just Live messaged them and told them I fitted a tail tidy and have a slip on and PCV coming, all added as a note on my policy with no increase in Premium.

Modification rules

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends a little.
All the piggybacks do basically the same BUT:

Coober (Europe) is a non-customer adjustable unit but only 1 that will take over the warranty when installed.
PowerTRONICS (India) is a fully customer adjustable unit in fuel and ignition and offers an up-shift quick shifter.
RB (USA) EVO = only fuel regulating but with a claimed learning capability for added modifications, also QS capable.
RB (USA) Seasy kits are no longer found on the US website, discontinued?
Booster Plug (Danish) seems to work (if the temperature sensor is placed in a favourable position but ALL it does is fool the OEM ECU in thinking that the ambient temperature is a couple of degrees cooler than actually is what makes the OEM ECU adjust the amount of fuel to be injected. (works but questionable pricing).

I hope this makes your choice somewhat easier.

You may also look at Bazzaz, EJK, Athena and probably even more.

And yes, if you are not that accustomed to high revving bikes and don't shift down when needed, changing gearing will help as weel.
Great breakdown thanks, I am still no further forward in deciding what I should get.

Planned mods - Akrapovic slip on, DNA airfilter, Coober airlid? Maybe Dyno it.

But which PCV?

Prices @ 17//06/2020

POWER COMMANDER V (FUEL & IGNITION) - £388.48
PowerTRONICS - £249.06 Delivered to the UK (Possible get caught by Customs)
Rapid Bike EASY - £149 OOS
Rapid Bike EVO - £376
Rapid Bike Evo Exclusive - £268

·
Registered
688 Posts
I always use Mceinsurance in the UK, I just Live messaged them and told them I fitted a tail tidy and have a slip on and PCV coming, all added as a note on my policy with no increase in Premium.

Modification rules
Thank you for the advice, l will give them a call tomorrow.
I just renewed with my existing company so l should get some money back if l cancel. I will update on how l get on.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Great breakdown thanks, I am still no further forward in deciding what I should get.

But which PCV?

Prices @ 17//06/2020

Rapid Bike EVO - £376
lf you are doing other mods such as exhaust and air filter, l would recommend something more sophisticated than the RB EASY

·
Registered
510 Posts

But which PCV?

Prices @ 17//06/2020

Rapid Bike EVO - £376
Power Commander don’t sell a model for the Gen 2 though I’m informed you can build your own map.

What do you want to achieve with the unit? Do you want maps or auto tune. Which mods like quick shifter or launch control do you want? The answers will define which units suit you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would like to get everyone’s opinion. I’m currently getting the Rapid Bike Evo exclusive installed at Reno Nevada KTM dealership in their service department. They’ve had it for about a while now and struggled to get it to work. I’ve watched Moto Mirius YouTube install and it doesn’t seem that difficult. The reason I brought it to the dealership is I just didn’t have the three or four hours to install it myself. Yaman at Rapid Bike says it takes about three hours and another half an hour with a quick shifter. My question is this. Should the Reno Nevada KTM dealership be struggling with this install? They stated they will no longer talk to Yaman at Rapid Bike for assistance. They are now starting to say this is a piece of junk. Somehow, I don’t believe that. Especially, with the good reviews the piggyback system has had on the site. BTW, if they can’t finish my install tomorrow, they said they’re just going to bring my bike back to stock condition and give me my bike back.
Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
WilWil,

I would demand them to bring your bike back to standard.
I would not want people like that touching my bike at all anymore.
I installed 2x PowerTRONIC 1x on a 2012 Duke 200 and 1x on a 2015 Duke 390, both in less than 45 minutes and both start and working (real plug & play).
I have never seen any Rapid Bike products to can't really comment on them but find it hard to believe these would take 3 to 4 hours to install.
As a piggyback has nothing really to do with KTM drop your bike at a good motorcycle mechanic to install it for you.

@adigraham,
If you plan to dyno the bike after all the mods, you will need a piggyback that allows for customer custom tuning.
This means no Coober or Power Plug, probably also eliminates the RBEasy.
Another positive feature when custom tuning is that you can actually play with the ignition timing.
So basically any piggyback where the client can self -adjust fuel and ignition would work best in your case.
PowerTRONIC (sponsor of the forum) has a special offer at this moment.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Can you really get that much more out of the 390 engine?
I mean, it’s already producing 43bhp with good torque throughout the range, not bad for a 373cc four stroke.
What kind of gains are people getting from this engine?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts