KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else here who thinks the duke would look better on bigger rear tires?

I think the rear tires look really slim looking at the bike from behind.

The stock rear tire size is 150/60 but it looks like the swing arm has enough space to add 5mm on each side. Maybe this would be enough space to fit a tire size 160/60.

Any thoughts? Would this be possible? :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
My thoughts on bigger tyres relates to performance. More fuel consumed, less flickability, % of HP lost and $ comparison im not sure but it would probably add some more at purchase time.
The bikes designed around this tread size, others on here have fitted a larger tyre size so Im sure they will give you a comparison.
Just out of curiosity, how often do you look at your rear tyre when your riding the bike? ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts on bigger tyres relates to performance. More fuel consumed, less flickability, % of HP lost and $ comparison im not sure but it would probably add some more at purchase time.
The bikes designed around this tread size, others on here have fitted a larger tyre size so Im sure they will give you a comparison.
Just out of curiosity, how often do you look at your rear tyre when your riding the bike? ;)
Not really when I'm riding but every time I go home, I park my bike and I just stop for a few minutes and then just stare at it's beauty... then I see these tires.. :D

Would look better a little wider than stock :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not really when I'm riding but every time I go home, I park my bike and I just stop for a few minutes and then just stare at it's beauty... then I see these tires.. :D

Would look better a little wider than stock :D
tire stock ktm duke 390 Front 110/70 R17 Rim 3 Inch + Rear 150/60 R17 Rim 4 Inch

if you want change bigger tire size you need to search tire guide file attach (pirelli mT 60, avon distanzia) :

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmm, so I guess 160/60 would fit the duke then.

Found a youtube video of a duke with wider tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUsye3n0XWc

Here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXFFhmlXzFA

I like the larger rear tire look but I'm not sure about the choice of tires on the vids.

And I just read on another thread, philcoure changed his tires to 160/60 without issues.
You should check tire guide, which tire fit into duke (front rim 3" / Rear 4")

Pirelli MT60 RS CORSA 160/60 17 recommended rim 4,5 then rim permitted 4,25 - 5.00

So.....this tire guide said not recommended 160/60 17 tire for rim 4"

then if you enforce tire 160/60 17 into rim 4" then your tire shape will look like donut

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should check tire guide, which tire fit into duke (front rim 3" / Rear 4")

Pirelli MT60 RS CORSA 160/60 17 recommended rim 4,5 then rim permitted 4,25 - 5.00

So.....this tire guide said not recommended 160/60 17 tire for rim 4"

then if you enforce tire 160/60 17 into rim 4" then your tire shape will look like donut
Oh, that's too bad. Then I guess 150/60 is the max tire size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Philcoure has done this and as far as i know there was no issues. Certain tyres arent exactly the size they say. I had PR3's on my previous and they measured to be 157mm so its not that much of a difference. I know the rim size makes the difference but i too want to put a larger tyre on.

I am going to put a miclelin PR3 after this set. The only reason for this is i think the stock tyre is SH*T. Does not hold anything like the PR3 does on wet roeads, white lines and drain covers.

I am going to try the 160 rear and see how it goes.

Has anybody else done this or have feedback?

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Went in for a new rear tyre this morning, because my first M5 was shot after 11,000km. Got there, guy asks what am I fitting, tell him the 160/60ZR17 Metzeler M7RR I called him about.

The tyre jockey fits it and later while fitting the wheel back on, asks the foreman about clearance to which he gets the okay. I pipe up, it's the stock tyre width? He says, nah mate, 150 is.

I promptly google it and confirm it in the owner's manual and he's right! Fortunately it fits and I'm spared the embarrasment. Now I've got a wider rear on by accident LOL!

·
Registered
161 Posts
DUKE 390 4" RIM - 17" WHEEL, OEM TYRE = 150/60
150/60 is the industry standard for a 4.25" rim, so KTM already fits an oversize rear tyre although it is normal for manufacturers to do this.
A 4" rim can take up to a 170/60 tyre but this is the limit. But as it's a KTM alloy wheel, can it take the extra sideways force of the increased contact patch size and will it have sufficient clearances.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Went in for a new rear tyre this morning, because my first M5 was shot after 11,000km. Got there, guy asks what am I fitting, tell him the 160/60ZR17 Metzeler M7RR I called him about.

The tyre jockey fits it and later while fitting the wheel back on, asks the foreman about clearance to which he gets the okay. I pipe up, it's the stock tyre width? He says, nah mate, 150 is.

I promptly google it and confirm it in the owner's manual and he's right! Fortunately it fits and I'm spared the embarrasment. Now I've got a wider rear on by accident LOL!
Hehe. Does it affect the handling in any way?

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Hehe. Does it affect the handling in any way?
I'm taking the 1st 100km easy, riding at 60% instead of my usual 70%, but I'll be back to my usual riding soon. What I can tell you already though, is the bump absorption is better, making it more comfortable. Also, although rotational mass has increased, acceleration has not been noticeably affected.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
This looks much bigger than 160..
I read that 185s will fit between the swing arms
Maybe the guy put on wider wheels too..
He'd have to use wider wheels, technically speaking 160 is already too wide for the standard wheel. I can tell you one thing though, with that wheel "upgrade" he'll definitely have slower acceleration and slower handling with a 185 tyre.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tires on wheels

Anybody know of a Duke with wider spoked wheels with the larger tires that can be mounted on them.. The larger tires should give a softer ride on bad roads, I'm not really worried about slower acceleration with the 390's weight to power ratio.. LOL

5" rim
michelin pilot power 160/60 is 169 mm wide
bridgestone battlax rain<icon1.png> 165/62 is 160 mm wide
pirelli supercorsa 160/60 is 166 mm wide
Avon pro extreme 160/60 is 169mm wide
Avon Distanzia 160/60 is 167mm wide
Koncorde 160/60 is 163mm wide
Dunlop KR108 165/55 slick is 157mm wide
rennsports 160/60 is 161mm
maxiss road legal slick 160/60 is 158mm
Conti SM 160/60 is 158mm
Pirelli Diablo 160/60 is 162mm

4.5" EXCEL rim
Dunlop Mutant 160/60 is 158mm wide

4.25" BEHR rim
Avon pro extreme 160/60 is 162mm wide
Koncorde 160/60 is 159mm wide
Dunlop KR108 165/55 slick is 150mm wide
Maxis Goldspeed Streetsport is 154mm wide
Avon Distanzia 160/60 is 161mm wide.

4.25" EXCEL rim
Maxis Goldspeed Streetsport is 157mm wide[/quote]

·
Registered
14 Posts
First of all, they look better. Second of all, they feel excellent. Ride is smoother and I feel more planted with the extra contact patch to the road. Confidence inspiring on tight leaning corners and fast straight-aways. These are Michelin Pilot Pro 2's. 160/60-R17 and 120/60-R17. I love them! I highly recommend!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts