KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I see lots of chatter about wider tires on the Duke , so what the heck I'm doing it!
I purchased battlax S22 120/70 front and 160/60 rear .
YES I do want a meatier look , but if performance suffers I will return to stock.
I installed the front last night... I only recieved the rear this afternoon, I will install it tomorrow and report back

Before people start negative comments, please understand I no longer race or lean my bikes to the limit, I just cruise around town. I'm getting older I have a family to worry about.
I maintain about 1" of chicken strips on my tires
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

I tried it out around town, a little twisties and some Highway.
I must admit I like it , feels much better than the OEM front tire .

overall the tire is ; 1/2 taller and 3/8 wider .
The bike is about a 1/4" higher in the front ( for now)

The U shape some experts have referred to is only noticable in the last inch of the sidewall , what I call the chicken strips area. which I'll never reach anyway. the rest of the tire has a nice shape to it.

the S22 feels real good and sticky, it was 12 degrees C and it felt grippy right away.

I'll report back asap about the rear

here is a sneak peak at the rear tire.
Tire Automotive tire Black Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting. I'm going the opposite way. I've just ordered some S22s. Standard 110 for the front but a 140 for the rear. I use the Duke for a second bike to hack around the lanes so exactly the opposite sort of usage. I'll tell you what I think when I fit them.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both tires installed, I really like them.
Rear is 5/8" wider , wider than i expected.

Rides really nice
Maybe a little bit lighter steering
The bike is taller, I can't say by how much but its noticeable. I'm guessing 1/2" higher, but my old tire was worn +- 3/16 . So overall the bike is probably 1/4 to 3/8 higher than stock.
I cruised at 120kmh and did not notice any power loss. Same goes for city driving.
Honestly I'm very happy with my choice
Plus the bike looks better and I'm not usually superficial... but it does looks nice!
I feel confident I will not have any issues with hard cornering.
The s22 are nice and sticky on the sides.
The rear tire doesn't have the slight U shape
I'll report back once in a while for those who are interested.
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

STAY SAFE!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've put 60 miles on my new S22s. 110/70 front and 140/70 rear. I ride fairly briskly. I like the 140s. I measured the amount of the tyre I had used on the 150. Across the width of the tyre it was 158mm. On the 140 it's 172mm (the full arc length across the tread). Factoring in the fact that the 140/70 has a slightly smaller circumference (which reduces contact patch area for an equivalent contact patch width) than the 150/70 it still means I'm using a much larger surface area of the 140 that I was on the 150 (which always looked too pinched to me).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I've done a few hundred km and I'm very happy with my decision. They feel grippy right from the start even at 15° C .
Rides great , doesn't do anything wrong. I did do some decent leaning in the on\off ramps and felt fine.
I must admit, I Really like the look of a bigger rear tire.
Could be that the s22 are just that good a tire they work well a size up or down??
Either way I like it.

Kermit , I am also intrigued about size and shape and the outcome. It be super cool to compare the 2 set ups side by side. Hope you enjoy your set up also.

Enjoy your Duke's and be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts