KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, looking to pick ya brains for a minute. Searched the thread but have not come up with anything specifically for GEN 2 Duke 390s.

Was riding the bike this morning and had no issues. After 5 mins when i reached my destination, i turned the bike off and left it there for 10 minutes. When i tried to start the bike again, the motor is cranking but engine doesn't want to fire. Almost like fuel pump is trying to draw fuel or the spark plug isnt firing. After about 10 cranks, the bike fired up and the CEL came on. Rides fine though so i proceeded to ride it with the light on throughout.

Washed the bike, checked wiring and fuses and all are ok. Battery check came back as fully charged and functioning. After 3 hours stationery, tried to start the bike again but same issue. Played with the kill switch also and turned the ignition on and off a few times and it started again. Did the 10 min reset and the CEL is still on. I then rode about 5km and shut the bike off.

Tried to isolate the cause and i turned the iginition with the kill switch active then switched it off to see if the fuel pump is running, it does. I hear a buzzing for about 10 secs. Started the bike, fired up on 1st crank and CEL went off.

Any thoughts on what could have caused it? Again, fuel pump is running, batteries ok, Fuel tank is full, bike has been running perfectly the previous couple days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sent it to the dealer and fault was traced to the crankshaft position sensor.

ironic was when the tow truck came, the bike decided to fire up as per normal. what a b1tch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the sensor require replacing or did they just erase the error code?
that particular sensor is located behind the alternator cover on the left side of the engine case. it needed to be replaced.

Still waiting for the part to arrive as the bike is still at the workshop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, yeah since the issue continued although intermittent sounds like a bad sensor. I know its no fun waiting on parts, hopefully it won't be long. Makes me glad I have a two-wheeled backup- Classic1986 Honda Helix w/ 9k miles, it ain't fast but it is comfortable, reliable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts