KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a first gen 2013 Duke 390, recently its intake camshaft decided to go kaput. Was adviced a rebuild by the KTM dealer as it had caused some damage inside the engine, fast forward...a new block, piston, valves, cams... Everytime i crank her on a cold engine, it gives out white smoke for around 30 seconds and you can clearly smell burning oil.... Dealer keeps insisting that this is normal and I should ride it for a few 100 miles and then check again. Rode around 500mls, still smoking... Showed it to ktm, they checked the oil level, on draining it was 1.35 liters and the dealer has now topped it up and asked me to ride again for 100 miles and then report. Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a first gen 2013 Duke 390, recently its intake camshaft decided to go kaput. Was adviced a rebuild by the KTM dealer as it had caused some damage inside the engine, fast forward...a new block, piston, valves, cams... Everytime i crank her on a cold engine, it gives out white smoke for around 30 seconds and you can clearly smell burning oil.... Dealer keeps insisting that this is normal and I should ride it for a few 100 miles and then check again. Rode around 500mls, still smoking... Showed it to ktm, they checked the oil level, on draining it was 1.35 liters and the dealer has now topped it up and asked me to ride again for 100 miles and then report. Any advice?
Buy a new bike?
Not a very helpful advice...:/

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
How many kms have you done with the new piston (and rings)?
As with anything mechanical stuff needs to bed-in also piston and rings.
The garage is correct that you need to have some running hours before this will stop.
Have they replaced the valve guides and seals as well?

·
Registered
563 Posts
How many kms have you done with the new piston (and rings)?
As with anything mechanical stuff needs to bed-in also piston and rings.
The garage is correct that you need to have some running hours before this will stop.
Have they replaced the valve guides and seals as well?
Solid advice here. Sometimes it can take a while for new rings to bed in. +1 on the valve stem seals question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts