KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I bought a 2022 Duke 390 a few months ago. I hadn't ridden it for about a month (waiting to take it into it's first, break-in service), and this morning it wouldn't start. The screen wouldn't even light up.

I'm assuming the battery is just dead, can anyone confirm this? Also, how do I charge the battery, can I use regular jumper cables with a car or is there something specific I need to do?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 KTM DUKE 390
78 Posts
First of all. Check if your battery terminals are secure, from experience, it happens. Use a screw driver and make sure the positive ans negative didn't come loose.

Yes, you can jump your battery just like a regular car.

·
Registered
2017 KTM DUKE 390
78 Posts
Let us know how it all worked out. I installed split washers on my terminals to prevent the screws from coming loose again.

I have a 2017 DUKE 390 and last year it sat in my garage for 6 months without being turned on. And even then, I was still able to start the bike. So it seems strange that just after 1 month on a new bike your battery would be fully dead.

A healthy battery should read around 12.5v prior to starting the bike. If you get it started, ride your bike around for 30 minutes to charge it back up. You can also buy a $50 battery tender and hopefully it can recharge/repair your battery back to health. That's what I did with my battery after I hadn't ridden for 6 months even though I got it to start without the battery tender. This is what I used:
Product Input device Font Gadget Cameras & optics

Body jewelry Jewellery Auto part Ring Rim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let us know how it all worked out. I installed split washers on my terminals to prevent the screws from coming loose again.

I have a 2017 DUKE 390 and last year it sat in my garage for 6 months without being turned on. And even then, I was still able to start the bike. So it seems strange that just after 1 month on a new bike your battery would be fully dead.

A healthy battery should read around 12.5v prior to starting the bike. If you get it started, ride your bike around for 30 minutes to charge it back up. You can also buy a $50 battery tender and hopefully it can recharge/repair your battery back to health. That's what I did with my battery after I hadn't ridden for 6 months even though I got it to start without the battery tender. This is what I used:
View attachment 54666

View attachment 54665
Ok, great, I'll definitely look into getting the tender.

The connections were fine, and I was able to jump it, ride it around for a while, and so far it's kept it's charge. I had a security system installed when I bought the bike (there's a fair amount of theft here, unfortunately), and I had assumed that it was a stand-alone system, but it might actually be running off the battery, and what drained it so quickly.

Thank you for the info, very much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts