KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the very start (before I bought the bike) I had this plan of getting close to the all black Kunka concept from last year, but now, when I'm getting close, I'm not so sure. The orange frame will probably stay, as it takes some comittment to strip the bike to paint the frame. But my plan was to paint the wheels matt black. As it is at the moment, the wheels are still orange.

What do yo think, keep the orange or go for the (almost) all matt black bad boy look?

Reactions: YesEvil

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think it looks good the way they tie in with the frame color now but I vote for matt black rims because I think it will look even better. Then maybe a hint of orange with some orange rim tape or stickers?
Keep up the good work, it looks good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally , I would not be comfortable riding without the chain guard .
Ok, that's noted, but what about the color of the wheels? ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Murder that puppy out! You're right about the frame, though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Personally, I'm not in favour of all black 'stealth' bikes as they have lower visibility to all the idiots in cars trying to kill us. The bold colours of the Duke are part of it's persona of being something different and not just like 99% of Harleys.

However, this is your bike & if you like it, do it :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
i think your bike looks pretty awesome as is!
if you spray paint the rims black, the paint will fleck off after time and you will have orange peeking through. if you want it to stay black, you might have to get the wheels sandblasted and powdercoated black... or buy a set of duke 200 wheels. those are the same size, and black, correct?
nice headlight, too. that's the ktm powerparts headlight, right?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sandblasting & re-powdercoating would give the best job for sure, but is rather a drastic, no-going-back approach.

To see if you like it you could try painting black with Plasti-dip...provided it's available where you are. It will let you see how it looks & can just be peeled-off afterwards if needed.

Reactions: retrochick

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried making them black but it's been a while since I did a decent photo editing job...

Perhaps this will give you some what of an idea but I would suggest photoshopping the wheels better so you have a good idea on how they will look like all black.
best of luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sandblasting & re-powdercoating would give the best job for sure, but is rather a drastic, no-going-back approach.

To see if you like it you could try painting black with Plasti-dip...provided it's available where you are. It will let you see how it looks & can just be peeled-off afterwards if needed.
or truck bed liner. that stuff's pretty rugged.

·
Registered
485 Posts
keep them orange. I like the way it is. Make your own project don' t imitate another...

off topic.. wouldn't you have problem in rain and mud without the front fender?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Ok, that's noted, but what about the color of the wheels? ;)
Colors and tastes should not be discussed . As stated before , you are the only one that should decide what to do with your bike . Try to use black masking tape first to get a better idea of the result before you apply a type of coating that leaves you no easy way out in case you'd regret it later

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
off topic.. wouldn't you have problem in rain and mud without the front fender?
Sure, I remove it when the weather is good, stick it back on if I have to ride in the rain. 3 min job ;)

Reactions: duke200

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think your bike looks pretty awesome as is!
if you spray paint the rims black, the paint will fleck off after time and you will have orange peeking through. if you want it to stay black, you might have to get the wheels sandblasted and powdercoated black... or buy a set of duke 200 wheels. those are the same size, and black, correct?
nice headlight, too. that's the ktm powerparts headlight, right?
Thanks! I'm starting to like it myself. I have great experience painting wheels in my garage btw, cleaning thoroughly and light sanding make the matt black stick really well. I have done a set om my Audi A4, second season now, no probs even after using pressure washer. So I'm not too worried to be honest.

The headlight is a powerparts replica from China, I think it is from Advan. Cheaper, and takes the hacksaw well :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
Personally the bike is stunning with the way it is, black will surely make it bland, IMHO though. I'd suggest you keep the orange as it is, both the frame and rim, unless you want the bike to look like a Duke 200. On a lighter note, no mudguard + no chain guard plus already useless rear fender only equates to one thing, soon you're going to look like The Thing fully baked in crud. All the best.

Cheers!
V

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it looks good the way they tie in with the frame color now but I vote for matt black rims because I think it will look even better. Then maybe a hint of orange with some orange rim tape or stickers?
Keep up the good work, it looks good.
I quite like the idea of some graphics on the wheels if I go black, maybe something like the attached pic. Not the best photoshop, but you get the idea - and these wheels are shiny black, mine will be matt ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personally the bike is stunning with the way it is, black will surely make it bland, IMHO though. I'd suggest you keep the orange as it is, both the frame and rim, unless you want the bike to look like a Duke 200. On a lighter note, no mudguard + no chain guard plus already useless rear fender only equates to one thing, soon you're going to look like The Thing fully baked in crud. All the best.

Cheers!
V

:D

Reactions: B7ACKTHORN
1 - 20 of 47 Posts