KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a BP on my 2017 Duke, later model, and 1st ride thru a ECU failure on my screen, I pulled the main fuse and the next day did the 15 1/2 min. idle reset on a track stand in neutral. My temp sensor is located near the steering head as per BP instructions. I went for a 30 min. ride and no code was thrown, the bike seemed more responsive but was still experiencing the surging at steady throttle up to 6000 RPM.
I was wondering if other other BP users are experiencing the same or did your surging pretty much go away after the BP install. I do have an Akrapovic slip-on, stock airbox and Cat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's about the same as what I'm seeing with my Duke. Some of the other member's posts indicate better results. Hopefully I'll see more replies to get a better idea of what the norm is. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The jerkeness will never go away completely, it's just greatly improved. Are you sure your connectors are plugged in all the way?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jerkeness will never go away completely, it's just greatly improved. Are you sure your connectors are plugged in all the way?
I'll double check them, I may disconnect the BP and run stock for awhile, than reconnect to see if I get a better reset. Thanks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
The only issue is, the "check engine" light keeps coming on.
lt goes away but then comes back on after a few more rides.
The bike still runs the same (with the light on) so l just ignore it now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just installed the RBE myself. Jerkiness gone, and you can accelerate with open throttle from much lower rpm without the bike vibrating. 50km/h, 5th gear wide open throttle is no problem at all. So much better for city riding and you don't have to worry so much about keeping the bike in the higher rpm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Judging by the info so far the RBE may be a better choice over the BP although I haven't had time to tinker with my Duke since I started this post. When I do more testing I'll post the results. I'm running a Yoshimura Alpha T slip-on, checking their website video says it was designed to run best with the insert installed, giving it the most HP. I will try it and see what happens.
I do appreciate all the info response. Thanks!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone's interested here is Yoshimura's short insert video

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I did some tinkering with the Duke today. I installed the insert into my Alpha T, I like the sound, seem much louder or maybe just a different note, the acceleration is much crisper and noticeable power increase, I LIKE IT, except it still hasn't fixed the surging issue. I tried disconnecting the BP, went back to stock, did a test ride than reconnected it, another test ride. It runs a little stronger with the the BP but surging seems about the same. I'll try one more idle reset tomorrow, if that doesn't do it I'll leave it alone. I came out of it with a power increase and better exhaust note and form off idle to redline it has a strong and smooth acceleration. It's a sweet running bike except for that annoying surging at steady throttle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK, I did some tinkering with the Duke today. I installed the insert into my Alpha T, I like the sound, seem much louder or maybe just a different note, the acceleration is much crisper and noticeable power increase, I LIKE IT, except it still hasn't fixed the surging issue. I tried disconnecting the BP, went back to stock, did a test ride than reconnected it, another test ride. It runs a little stronger with the the BP but surging seems about the same. I'll try one more idle reset tomorrow, if that doesn't do it I'll leave it alone. I came out of it with a power increase and better exhaust note and form off idle to redline it has a strong and smooth acceleration. It's a sweet running bike except for that annoying surging at steady throttle.
Not to state the obvious but be sure to check your chain tension as well. The piece of crap that came stock on my 2016 is totally junked after 8,000km. The chain on my MT07 is at 18,000km and hasn't stretched at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to state the obvious but be sure to check your chain tension as well. The piece of crap that came stock on my 2016 is totally junked after 8,000km. The chain on my MT07 is at 18,000km and hasn't stretched at all.
That poor quality chain issue is good to know, I'll keep an eye on it. If the chain stretches if takes the sprockets with it. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
The timing chain, as far as I am aware, has so far never been a problem?
The tensioner is discussed several times and there is even a manual aftermarket tensioner available.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The timing chain, as far as I am aware, has so far never been a problem?
The tensioner is discussed several times and there is even a manual aftermarket tensioner available.
I was referring to the drive chain. A stretched chain can give the impression of a jerky throttle, especially on single cylinder bikes which have big power pulses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was referring to the drive chain. A stretched chain can give the impression of a jerky throttle, especially on single cylinder bikes which have big power pulses.
I adjusted the chain today, it wasn't out a lot, but it definitely helped the surging. Good call Cedardrew.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts