KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
don't tell them it's fitted, they are not coming to inspect it,
how do these 'items' fit anyway, I've found my bike to be on off at low speed so I'm looking at a booster plug thing
I agree , Until they inspect the bike after an accident and declare the insurance null and void , whoops .:eek::devilish::unsure::poop:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've known a few people to have accident claims and the insurance company has never inspected the bikes for parts not notified, just an assessor or bike shop doing a written damage report, just ride safe and make sure you don't crash

·
Registered
688 Posts
don't tell them it's fitted, they are not coming to inspect it,
how do these 'items' fit anyway, I've found my bike to be on off at low speed so I'm looking at a booster plug thing
With the RBE you connect it with one plug and socket, it’s a bit fiddly but can be done by unscrewing the coil pack from the LHS frame as the connectors are behind there.
The wiring harness on the unit is long enough to mount it under the pillion seat, unbolt the tank at the rear to allow the wire to pass through, around the battery and under the relays behind the battery.
Transformed the low running on my 2019 Duke
I can ride smoothly down to 5/10/15 mph in 1/2/3 without using the clutch

·
Registered
218 Posts
it sounds great, this is what I'm watching at the moment
is this any good or is there a different item that I can't find :)
I won't buy anything just yet though as I need to know the bike is going to be reasonably trouble free before I spend on it, my bike is a 2016 model

·
Registered
688 Posts
The booster plug is basically just a resistor that fools the ECU into thinking the air temperature is lower than it actually is.
The RBE is actually a microprocessor and it continually modifies the data from the exhaust lambda sensor so the ECU provides a slightly richer fuel mixture.

It can also be adjusted, to match it to the bike. (Mine needed adjusting from +2 to +1 as it initially made the EML come on)

But either unit seems to work, so make your choice.

·
Registered
376 Posts
RapidBike Easy and be done. Doesn’t even show after installation. Member Lightning pretty much explains how to install it nice and tidy. There is even a small notch already molded in the underseat compartment to pass the cable of the RBEasy

·
Registered
218 Posts
great, I'll look into it thank you,
by the way do either of these 'add ons' require the use of a lap top to set up like some tuning devices do

·
Registered
154 Posts
No laptop required.

Rapid Bike does make higher spec models that are configurable via a laptop, but Easy is a self-contained unit with two physical dials for setting up. The manual tells you what they should be set to for a given bike model (but, as lightning wrote, they may require further changes if you run into issues).

The booster plug is not configurable at all.

·
Registered
688 Posts
A few rides after l fitted the RBE l had the EML come on.
I contacted the manufacturer by Email (l think they are in Italy)
A very helpful lady replied advising me to change the fuelling dial from
+2 to +1
After doing this the unit still worked and the EML disappeared after a few more rides.
Some sellers mistakenly list the RBE as not being suited to the post 2017 Duke 390.
But (after much research by myself and further email conversations with the nice lady) it turned out that although they do have a new version out, the only difference is that it has an extra (+7) position on the dial for Kawasaki.
Oh and also you can’t set the dial between two numbers (such as between 1 and 2)
As the internal circuitry only stores six preset fuel maps.
So if you set it midway between 1 and 2 you might get either 1 or 2 but not a setting of one and a half.

l hope this helps somebody! Sadly mine isn’t currently connected until l can get the bike insured with it fitted.

l know most don’t bother declaring it to the insurance but with my luck if l ever crash they’ll find it, and wriggle out of paying.

·
Registered
218 Posts
insurance is just a scam, I hate the way you have to tell them if you are carrying a passenger, why ?, it has two seats so the likelyhood is high for most riders, we don't have to declare that we will take passengers in a car !,
I just get the cheapest and simplest to be legal and make sure I don't crash, my bikes are always standard no matter what I do to them

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have fitted the BoosterPlug, very straightforward. Yes all if does is fool the ECU it’s 20 degrees cooler than it actually is, but the result is 6% more fuel across the Rev range. It sits between air temp sensor and ECU. When on a constant throttle, the ECU takes its info from the lambda sensor and rights the mixture. My wife’s bike ran like a bag of **** with a decat fitted, added the plug and she is now running a dream. If you’re not doing any more mods than decat & airfilter, I’d recommend the BoosterPlug. ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
after watching some videos I ordered a booster plug yesterday,
I rode my bike to work yesterday and traffic was heavy and slow, the bike was jumping all over the place without clutch use, that gets tiresome after 20 minutes of it, not expecting a miracle but improvement would definitely be welcome,
the other thing I noticed was once I got into the slow moving traffic my fan came on and went off at regular intervals, the temp reading was never that high but as the air temperature was only 2c it does make me a bit concerned when it gets into the high 20c's

·
Registered
688 Posts
Surprised everyone is going for Boosterplug
But l’m not sure why l am bothered as l have no connection to either company.

lt’s probably because of my experience with cars, you can get similar resistor based “tuning boxes” that fool some sensor into making the ECU dump more fuel in to the engine.

But in cars it’s not a great idea as it can cause other issues, particularly if the engine is turbocharged

·
Registered
60 Posts
after watching some videos I ordered a booster plug yesterday,
I rode my bike to work yesterday and traffic was heavy and slow, the bike was jumping all over the place without clutch use, that gets tiresome after 20 minutes of it, not expecting a miracle but improvement would definitely be welcome,
the other thing I noticed was once I got into the slow moving traffic my fan came on and went off at regular intervals, the temp reading was never that high but as the air temperature was only 2c it does make me a bit concerned when it gets into the high 20c's
I think you will definitely notice a difference, not only with smoothness but with the fan as the running temp will drip with the richer mixture. (y)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Surprised everyone is going for Boosterplug
But l’m not sure why l am bothered as l have no connection to either company.

lt’s probably because of my experience with cars, you can get similar resistor based “tuning boxes” that fool some sensor into making the ECU dump more fuel in to the engine.

But in cars it’s not a great idea as it can cause other issues, particularly if the engine is turbocharged
A lot of the tuning boxes are just one standard resistor to,
I have heard of people having issues with this type.
The Booster plug is a variable resistor which then ensures that the result is a flat 20 degrees lower no matter the rpm or external temperature. (This is from the info I read up prior to purchase). I am doing no other mods so don't need the infinite adjustability of a power commander & the Rapid bike easy was more money and a longer lead time to UK!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Fair enough!
If it’s working then that’s great, the engine is not so complex as a car so will hopefully be fine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the reason I went for it was simplicity and ease of hiding the box out of sight, I'm sure they are both ok from what I've read though :)

21 - 40 of 75 Posts