KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I fitted the RB Easy... and got an engine light warning on the LCD... Removed the RBE and went OEM KTM... still warning light on the LCD.... Any suggestions? (RBE module was set by RB - fuel setting = +2 which is correct)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Old news!!! Reinstall the RBE, adjust to +1, ride the bike a few times (ie: start-ride-stop), presto check engine light goes out after just a few cycles. Enjoy the smoothness of an engine that is running a bit more rich

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Old news!!! Reinstall the RBE, adjust to +1, ride the bike a few times (ie: start-ride-stop), presto check engine light goes out after just a few cycles. Enjoy the smoothness of an engine that is running a bit more rich
Thanks Whyzee... I rode the bike with the engine light on and the RBE set to 2 as preset by RB for me... and it was smoother... but it can still improve. You say +1?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So reading reviews am I correct in thinking the BoosterPlug controls fuel at lower throttle openings and the RapidBike controls fuel at wide open throttle? So if I de-cat, open exhaust and air box I could still be running lean with just a BoosterPlug?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So reading reviews am I correct in thinking the BoosterPlug controls fuel at lower throttle openings and the RapidBike controls fuel at wide open throttle? So if I de-cat, open exhaust and air box I could still be running lean with just a BoosterPlug?

Scrap that. I now understand how the BoosterPlug adjusts fuel on open & closed loop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I rode the 390 with the engine light on and the RBE set to +1 as you indicated. After 20km I stopped, waited 2 min. and then did another 20km.... Same procedure - light still on. At the third stop I said to myself "Ya Whyzee...." But then the light went out... I was so glad I nearly forgave you.... but the light came back on. I said to myself "Ya Whyzee"... and then the light went out again! So I stopped at KTM and they did a reset on the bike. I saw the tail pipe was very dark and noticed that where I normally averaged 3.5 l/100km the bike now used 4.7 l/100km - indications of too a rich mixture! Before I left KTM I changed the fuel setting from +1 to ZERO.... The bike is less smooth and on the return trip (120km) used 3.9 l/100km.... but the light stayed off. (KTM said they often see the light come on after a BP or RB installation and tell the client to live with the light....)

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
Never had any light come on on the 200 or the 390 in over 40,000km between them with the PT.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Scrap that is likely what you will do to the engine if you try to run that level of mods with just a Boosterplug.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I fitted RBE to my standard 2019 Duke 390
After a short time the check engine light came on (the bike still ride fine)
I contacted DIMSPORT who make RBE and they said to reduce the fuel setting from +2 to +1
After that the check engine light went off and hasn’t come back on.
But it took three rides, that is three complete hot/cold cycles of the engine for the light to go out.
DIMSPORT said that if that didn’t cure the check engine light, to adjust the other control on the RBE (and not to reduce the fuel setting to zero)

·
Registered
218 Posts
well I finally got my booster plug and fitted it yesterday, my findings ?, it is easier to ride at low speed without the clutch as long as you are steady with the throttle, but.........bumps in the road make your hand move which then gives the on-off feel of the bad fueling,
is it worth it ?, yes, it does make it nicer to ride most of the time
is it a total fix ?, no, there are times when it is still on-off, I'd say it is a 65 percent improvement over standard

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad it improved your bike.

l am always surprised that none of the road tests/reviews of this bike mention the low speed running issues.
Most road tests of this bike are not in the UK.

I wonder if the ECU map is different for other markets and here in the UK we get the lean fuelling map to pass emissions.
Also, I’ve not heard anybody on this forum from lndia or the US complain about the low speed running of the bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
maybe they don't have to ride slow very often,
the reviews for most bikes are usually about overall performance and how quickly it goes around corners (pub talk), it is only the Indian reviews I've seen that say things like fuel economy and comfort

41 - 60 of 75 Posts